PDA

View Full Version : Nitpicking Movies

Xenocrates
July 21, 2005, 11:45 AM
Has anyone noticed these things about movies?

Bombs are always labelled with a LCD display. Now if I were to make me a bomb, why in God's name would I leave an LCD display on it so that the bomb experts can know how much time they have left?

Why is it that when a car runs up into the back of another, it runs up over and flips onto its side, inside of flipping up from the back?

Have you ever noticed that ALL Disney movies have a bad guy who is so incompetent that kids can outwit them?

Why does every conspicuously displayed pane of glass have to be broken?

Why do bad guys always monologue (i.e. spill the beans on their master plan) when they have the good guy cornered? Doesn't this mean that if the good guy gets away, he is armed with enough information to stop the plan?

Why is it that chick flicks always have the same plot?

Why do people hold a gun to each other's head just stand there and... talk!? Wouldn't it be far easier if one of you pulled the trigger first?

Why do people hold a gun to someone's head, or walk around with a shotgun in hand, without cocking the barrel first?

What are the odds of one or two people walking into a room surrounded by SWAT officers, armed only with hand guns, being able to take out ALL of the SWAT officers without conceeding a single bullet?

Are you telling me that badguys with guns (whether it be thugs, aliens or storm troopers) are so incompetent, that if 5 or more of them are firing at a couple of good guys, in plain view, at near proximity, whether it be laser beams or bullets, that none of them can make a single hit?

Why is it that when explosions happen a close proximity to a good guy, he/she/they is/are only thrown a good distance, (usually landing on the windscreen of a nearby car), but their clothes aren't blown off, and they only have soot marks on their face!? Real explosions at those proximities would kill a man instantly!

Why can people usually break a car glass easily with the butt of a gun, when most modern cars use safety glass that can't be penetrated from the outside?

Why do people think that if the sequel has bigger explosions, but the same plot as the original, that it will be better?

Why can people punch through a window without cutting up their fist/elbow?

What is up with everyone toting a semi-automatic wearing trenchcoats?

Why can guys walk away from a car as it explodes violently behind them, without going deaf for the rest of the movie? Aren't they afraid that some debris might smack them in the back?

I'm sure you've seen some of them.

Manu
July 21, 2005, 02:40 PM
LOL....why is it that when a person is shot....he's "blown away"....lol. Physics clearly tells you otherwise.....think Newton's Third Law ;)

BlackCryptoKnight
July 21, 2005, 03:02 PM
Why is it that...

Because it sells movie tickets.
The formula works.

tradag
July 21, 2005, 03:04 PM

Bombs are always labelled with a LCD display. Now if I were to make me a bomb, why in God's name would I leave an LCD display on it so that the bomb experts can know how much time they have left?

Why is it that when a car runs up into the back of another, it runs up over and flips onto its side, inside of flipping up from the back?

Have you ever noticed that ALL Disney movies have a bad guy who is so incompetent that kids can outwit them?

Why does every conspicuously displayed pane of glass have to be broken?

Why do bad guys always monologue (i.e. spill the beans on their master plan) when they have the good guy cornered? Doesn't this mean that if the good guy gets away, he is armed with enough information to stop the plan?

Why is it that chick flicks always have the same plot?

Why do people hold a gun to each other's head just stand there and... talk!? Wouldn't it be far easier if one of you pulled the trigger first?

Why do people hold a gun to someone's head, or walk around with a shotgun in hand, without cocking the barrel first?

What are the odds of one or two people walking into a room surrounded by SWAT officers, armed only with hand guns, being able to take out ALL of the SWAT officers without conceeding a single bullet?

Are you telling me that badguys with guns (whether it be thugs, aliens or storm troopers) are so incompetent, that if 5 or more of them are firing at a couple of good guys, in plain view, at near proximity, whether it be laser beams or bullets, that none of them can make a single hit?

Why is it that when explosions happen a close proximity to a good guy, he/she/they is/are only thrown a good distance, (usually landing on the windscreen of a nearby car), but their clothes aren't blown off, and they only have soot marks on their face!? Real explosions at those proximities would kill a man instantly!

Why can people usually break a car glass easily with the butt of a gun, when most modern cars use safety glass that can't be penetrated from the outside?

Why do people think that if the sequel has bigger explosions, but the same plot as the original, that it will be better?

Why can people punch through a window without cutting up their fist/elbow?

What is up with everyone toting a semi-automatic wearing trenchcoats?

Why can guys walk away from a car as it explodes violently behind them, without going deaf for the rest of the movie? Aren't they afraid that some debris might smack them in the back?

I'm sure you've seen some of them.
why do ever write some long things u like writing

Twinkie
July 21, 2005, 03:12 PM
:dwl: :rofl: :rotflm: :dwl:
Beacuse it's entertaining to the massive. I think also because Xeno has enough free time to write out what we've been thinking all along. I have asked myself all those questions before.

Liquid Bunny
July 21, 2005, 03:32 PM
:dwl: :rotflm:

----------------
i think Xen loves high grade he is far too observant and anaylitcal to not be eva frass...

Or maybe he isnt an Earthling :o :icon_eek:

Xenocrates
July 21, 2005, 03:52 PM
SAGE for stupid questions.

I guess that also explains the box office slump. After Star Wars (where a ship in space falls from the sky :rolleyes: ) the box office returns have dropped significantly. It was like Star Wars was the only thing people wanted to see this summer.

:icon_arro tradag

I don't post for the reading impaired. :p

Gwadinka
July 21, 2005, 03:53 PM
Why is it that the newbie/ best friend/ wife/kids or any kin of the good guy gets in trouble/is kidnapped/killed forcing him to leave his sweet laid back life to go back to his former life?

Why is it that the new partners who can't bear themselves at the beginning become best friends at the end?

And why is it that there's always a girl in the way to saving the world that is the gg falls for her and can't get his head on his job/can't see the trouble she brings?

Bahama Mama
July 21, 2005, 03:59 PM
I have another point to add:

-Why is it that alot of women in movie plots wake up first thing in the morning looking fresh and made up. I mean no bags under the eyes, no dribble on the side of the face, no crust in the corner of their eyes. :eusa_snoo

Xenocrates
July 21, 2005, 04:20 PM
I have another point to add:

-Why is it that alot of women in movie plots wake up first thing in the morning looking fresh and made up. I mean no bags under the eyes, no dribble on the side of the face, no crust in the corner of their eyes. :eusa_snoo

- Y'know, I've always wondered about this. :eusa_thin

Why is it that the new partners who can't bear themselves at the beginning become best friends at the end?

- There've been a lot of these films lately. But I guess BCK already hit the nail on the head. People love drama. Especially ladies. In fact, if it wasn't for women, Titanic wouldn't have made so much money.

And why is it that there's always a girl in the way to saving the world that is the gg falls for her and can't get his head on his job/can't see the trouble she brings?

- I'm reminded of Star Wars Ep 3. A yute beside me commented:

"Watch deh... the whole universe gets shot to hell because of p[cat]y"

It's a well known fact that the greatest men in history (except Alexander the Great) were befelled by a woman. Alexander was .... oh nevermind.

Here's another thing:

People empty entire magazines at a horde, and the walls behind them almost never get hit. Checkout Resident Evil II to see what I mean. Almost every movie like it has the same anomaly.

I don't think that one sold any tickets BCK. :p

BlackCryptoKnight
July 21, 2005, 04:22 PM
I don't think that one sold any tickets BCK. :p
Oh? You know how many gamers went to see those flicks? And then went out and bought the games - or vice versa?

Xenocrates
July 21, 2005, 04:26 PM
They were duped. Y'know what? I'm going into the movie business. Might as well take tradag's advice and put my "exceptional" writing skills to good use by writing a script. Might as well take advantage of people's stupidity while I'm at it. :icon_twis

Oh, here's something I didn't add:

Why is it that no computer in movies ever uses standard operating systems? I've never seen Windows on any computer in a movie (except in Third World Cop). Y'all ever noticed that?

BlackCryptoKnight
July 21, 2005, 04:32 PM
Why is it that no computer in movies ever uses standard operating systems? I've never seen Windows on any computer in a movie (except in Third World Cop). Y'all ever noticed that?

Not true. I've seen ton load of Macs in movies. I've seen UNIX (In Matrix Reloaded Trinity hacks the power stations from a UNIX terminal using an actual hacking tool - even though they made up the exploit). I've even seen some Windows stuff (but very rarely).

Liquid Bunny
July 21, 2005, 04:33 PM
:icon_arro tradag

:dwl: :rotflm: :rofl:

acidblade
July 21, 2005, 04:34 PM
:rofl: :rotflm: :dwl: :rofl:

Xenocrates
July 21, 2005, 04:46 PM
Not true. I've seen ton load of Macs in movies. I've seen UNIX (In Matrix Reloaded Trinity hacks the power stations from a UNIX terminal using an actual hacking tool - even though they made up the exploit). I've even seen some Windows stuff (but very rarely).

- Oh ok! I conceed. You're right. However, you can't deny this one:

How come I've rarely seen computer users in movies use a mouse? Take Operation: SwordFish for example. The Gene Hackman character was punching away at a high tech console with some bad 3D graphics on the screen, but there was NO MOUSE!

wtf?!

Manu
July 21, 2005, 06:48 PM

You know what makes this ever so funnier???? Dude hasn't a clue.....:rofl:

Why can't Stephen Seagal get butt whooped???????? The closest was Marked For Death....:rolleyes:

virus_ncu
July 21, 2005, 08:50 PM
What are you trying to say. Listen to me Kid. Take a deep breath, ok. Have you done that? OK good, now here is what you going to do... Think about what you want to post... wait before that, think about something that make sense, then think about how you going to post it. Let me share something with you, I have a spelling problem, but I try not to let it look so bad, try and work on it ok youngster. No Dis thing still zeen youth.

tradag
July 21, 2005, 08:52 PM
What are you trying to say. Listen to me Kid. Take a deep breath, ok. Have you done that? OK good, now here is what you going to do... Think about what you want to post... wait before that, think about something that make sense, then think about how you going to post it. Let me share something with you, I have a spelling problem, but I try not to let it look so bad, try and work on it ok youngster. No Dis thing still zeen youth.
i dont think i just write and do

virus_ncu
July 21, 2005, 09:21 PM
No diss again still, try using camma's ok, plus its kinda anoying when you quote the whole of Xeno post.

Malloc-X
July 21, 2005, 09:23 PM
They were duped. Y'know what? I'm going into the movie business. Might as well take tradag's advice and put my "exceptional" writing skills to good use by writing a script. Might as well take advantage of people's stupidity while I'm at it. :icon_twis

Oh, here's something I didn't add:

people are to be exploited, this the first law of deception. u forgot ur teachings

virus_ncu
July 21, 2005, 09:36 PM
The whole hacking thing in movies just wrong also. There is no such thing as matrix of Gibrish scrolling on the screen when hacking.

Manu
July 21, 2005, 10:56 PM
I was wondering abotut that...and how they were able to discipher the codes.

BlackCryptoKnight
July 21, 2005, 11:09 PM
- Oh ok! I conceed. You're right. However, you can't deny this one:

How come I've rarely seen computer users in movies use a mouse?
I've seen that too. The same movies with the Mac's had mice.

Take Operation: SwordFish for example. The Gene Hackman character was punching away at a high tech console with some bad 3D graphics on the screen, but there was NO MOUSE!

I was puzzling over this the whole evening. I never remembered seeing Gene Hackman in Swordfish. Gene Hackman is the old dude who was in "Unforgiven" with Morgan Freeman I think (A Clint Eastwood directed film that won academy awards). Gene was also in The Royal Tenenbaum's as Royal Tenenbaum. This is Gene Hackman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000432/)

You must have meant Hugh Jackman (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0413168/) aka Wolverine from X-Men and X2 (and soon to be Wolverine the Movie).

There's a very simple explanation for not having a mouse in that scenario. It just doesn't look as kewl as typing away at 3 keyboards or whatnot with all the clickety clackety happy h@X0R fingers.

BlackCryptoKnight
July 21, 2005, 11:11 PM
The whole hacking thing in movies just wrong also. There is no such thing as matrix of Gibrish scrolling on the screen when hacking.

They did it right in the Matrix Reloaded. Trinity actually used a real tool to aid her in her hack of the power stations to shut down the electricity grid.

virus_ncu
July 22, 2005, 05:56 AM
I knew about that BCK, so with the game also. i wasnt refering to matrix though.

Xenocrates
July 22, 2005, 08:52 AM
Post#: 1000

THANK YOU for the correction BCK...http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/xenocrates/Smilies/thumb.gif

I have no idea what I was thinking (or if I was thinking at all http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/xenocrates/Smilies/cookoo.gif). Hugh Jackman is who I was thinking about. (Gene Hackman is close in phonetic pronunciation... the 'ackman' part mixed up my head... my bad...http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/xenocrates/Smilies/riiight.gif) But yeah... you know what I mean.

Ruling:
I officially rule The Matrix movies as inadmissable evidence for this trial. Most things there were plausible (except the very last part of the third movie and the chase sequence in the second movie). Furthermore, it revolutionised how movies are made, and as such, doesn't fall into the same collective faux pas that all other movies are guilty of.

- Judge Xeno.

Back to the cross-examination. Ok, I'd like to make an addition:

How come when computer screens are shown in movies, the FONT is so HUGE! Especially in movies where people are sending each other text messages, using instant messengers or sending e-mail. The Font is MONSTROUSLY HUGE! ...and for such tiny screens! I mean seriously, what resolution are they using? 480x320?! :rotflm:

:icon_arro Virus_NCU

You're right! Especially in Swordfish, what does 3D graphics have to do with hacking? When I was a hax0r, all I had were scripting tools. You wrote programs to exploit loopholes in a program. I see the same B.S. in I,Robot, where the girl was hacking Viki. She was punching button-like lattices in a 3D-cuboid! That's not 1337! I don't even need to mention the movie "Hackers". That movie was the absolute worst depiction of hacking EVER.

I can easily say this, because...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/xenocrates/Smilies/l33t.gif

ramesh
July 22, 2005, 08:57 AM
Why don't they show Whiz Kids anymore? That show was much more realistic than most movies today. :(

BlackCryptoKnight
July 22, 2005, 09:01 AM
Why don't they show Whiz Kids anymore? That show was much more realistic than most movies today. :(
That show inspired me to be where I am today :)

Nastro
July 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
Why can't Stephen Seagal get butt whooped???????? The closest was Marked For Death....:rolleyes:

Actually, in real life, he is one of the most lethal fighters in the world. Yes, even more that Jet Li (although they do completely different arts).

Aikido is simple when at lower levels which is what the Japanese intended it to be, for obvious reasons. Aikido at high levels is one of the most difficult art and one of the most lethal. Stephen Segal is a Grand Master level 4 in Aikido.

Combining Aikido with hapkido makes you a dangerous person. He is just reflecting actions of his art.

Look at how cool the Grand master looks at this tourney.
http://www.aikidofaq.com/bilder/osensei06.gif

Nastro
July 22, 2005, 10:29 PM
You guys ever notice that in all movies that there is a computer, everyone is an expert typist. Everybody touch types.

Manu
July 22, 2005, 10:29 PM
Is that to say that dude can't get hit? It's entertainment. He needs to get hit....thats all

d_knight
July 22, 2005, 10:34 PM
You guys ever notice that in all movies that there is a computer, everyone is an expert typist. Everybody touch types.

the movie where this was seen the most was um... sword fish. the dude was totally just trashin the keyboard i'm not sure if he made a proper sentence or sensible line of request [ hack ] from how he was bashing the board.

jerry
July 23, 2005, 03:57 PM
I hate i when someone gets one hit in the face (box, kick, tump) or head, they go unconscious immediately. That doesn't really happened.

d_knight
July 23, 2005, 04:56 PM
well if you want i could arrange that for you still, as in a testing. i'll be the kicker/puncher/boxer you'll be the victim zn. :icon_lol:

jerry
July 23, 2005, 07:24 PM
well if you want i could arrange that for you still, as in a testing. i'll be the kicker/puncher/boxer you'll be the victim zn. :icon_lol:

Thats ok, how about the other way around ;) :) .i am not saying u can't hit someone till they go unconcious but, one likkle knock???
Mi jump kick a ute in him face already, but him never knock out. Used a bag with some tough stuff in there, and hit a ute in his head and face several times but he didn't knockout just was dizzy for about 10mins:). all i am saying, the movies over do it, it just look too fake. U dont think so?

d_knight
July 23, 2005, 07:35 PM
Thats ok, how about the other way around ;) :) .i am not saying u can't hit someone till they go unconcious but, one likkle knock???
Mi jump kick a ute in him face already, but him never knock out. Used a bag with some tough stuff in there, and hit a ute in his head and face several times but he didn't knockout just was dizzy for about 10mins:). all i am saying, the movies over do it, it just look too fake. U dont think so?

yeh man i know what you saying but i just wnted to test it for the fun of it all. and my yute a wah kind a life you live so, your a pro wrestler a drop kick people in the face and a hit them with bags of things in the head. jah know. lol.

jerry
July 23, 2005, 07:40 PM
yeh man i know what you saying but i just wnted to test it for the fun of it all. and my yute a wah kind a life you live so, your a pro wrestler a drop kick people in the face and a hit them with bags of things in the head. jah know. lol.

Lol.. :), no man. That was when I was in school. I know ppl who did worst than that.

jerry
July 23, 2005, 07:43 PM
another nitpick is the constant "matrix styles". its been over done now, they need to come up with something on their own. up to cartoons immitating it, eg. shrek.

Manu
July 23, 2005, 09:02 PM
Do not call Shrek a cartoon. Cartoon are for kids. Shrek was an animated feature film. Get it right!

nester-san
August 2, 2005, 12:11 PM
I actually have a clip off a website, where the guys SLAPS a chick in her face, and she passes out cold. they did it for fun, she says "dont hold back" at beginning. But when she passes out, he was scared as hell!!

nuhsenutten
August 2, 2005, 02:12 PM
Do not call Shrek a cartoon. Cartoon are for kids. Shrek was an animated feature film. Get it right!
mek them kno........ya dig!

ramesh
August 2, 2005, 03:40 PM
I saw a movie on Saturday called, "Timeline". At one point a lady decides to walk on the roof of a dwelling and slips. Frantically holding on, she lets loose a lot of hay while scrambling to hold on. No matter how much hay falls from the roof, not one of the dozen or so passers by seem to notice!

Xenocrates
June 21, 2007, 07:42 AM
Based on posts made by Manu and Arch_Angel in the Anything Goes (http://www.caribyard.com/forums/showthread.php?p=129571#post129571) thread, here (http://www.caribyard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129569&postcount=4495), here (http://www.caribyard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129571&postcount=4496) and here (http://www.caribyard.com/forums/showpost.php?p=129574&postcount=4497), read and weep:

Silly wabbits:

How can superman breathe in space? - If Superman can pocket enough air in his lungs to blow wind at hurricane speed (see Superman 2 & 3), then he can sure as hell hold his breath for a heck of a long time.

Travel millions of light years away to his home planet and back in 5 years but yet it took him so long to reach the plane to stop it from crashing? - Superman didn't travel back to Krypton space under his own will. He used a space craft built from Kryptonian technology in his Fortress of Solitude. See the pre-movie comics for details.

If he ages like humans... how come he doesn't age when he travels to distant planets? - Superman's cells deteriorate at 1/800th the rate of ordinary humans. That means he doesn't age like humans. In virtually every comic or television franchise, there is a story of Superman outliving Lois who looks withered in her 70's, while he still looks as though he's 26. The stories became unpopular in the 1970's, so most modern comic book stories never ever deal with an old Superman because it would never sell comics. This is what led to your misperception. Technically, Superman is 74 years old. This is why DC comics keeps killing him off, and revisiting Superman in a parallel dimension where he and Lois are still young. :rolleyes:

He may be faster than sound.... but light? - Superman can match light speed in space. That's his fastest capacity. However as soon as he reaches Plutonian orbit, it drops to 0.998 light speed, and then drops precipically after that. Remember, he gets his power from our red Sun.

And yet Xeno is at odds with ID4 cause they used an earth borne computer virus to disable a spaceship. Plausible in 1996 because people were just getting into technology. We had dial-up then for crying out loud..... - Because since I'm a software engineer by profession, I like every other person who has ever written code for computers, know that you can't write a virus for a platform that doesn't support its basic instruction set. You can write a PC virus for PC's, but it won't work on a MAC or a Commodore or a Linux box - let alone an intergalactic space craft ¼ the size of the moon from a distant planet. Their computers probably don't even use binary. I've written computer viruses - and you have to use Assembly to write them. Assembly won't compile (let alone get stored) on a computer from a space faring race which doesn't even use the same stored memory architecture. The very idea is preposterous.

I'd have been more sold on the idea of Reed Richards whipping up some device that uses an EMP to disrupt the electromagnetic field generators on the star ship. THAT would've been far more plausible than a computer virus. Building something like that would involve reverse engineering the computing architecture of that mothership - NOT likely.

[But wait, there's MOAR!]

Xenocrates
June 21, 2007, 07:54 AM
This dude can lift up an entire man made island of kryptonite rock out of the ocean, but still struggles when lifting up a car. :eusa_wall - Notice that Superman flies up into the sky to recharge just before he makes a bid for the mini kryptonite content. You do remember that he's powered by our Red Sun, right? Furthermore, there's the issue of moments of force (balance and center of gravity for the non-scientific among you):

In physics, when an object possesses a disproportionate density to size ratio (like how 1lb of lead is smaller than 1lb of granite), balance becomes disproportionately distorted such that the object's center of gravity exists outside of its physical frame. As such, given the effects of gravity on a much tinier scale, it would actually be harder for Superman to move a car without crushing its occupants (or minimizing damage to his environment - he is in the middle of the city) than it would be to move a Kryptonite continent. All he has to do is hit the center of the continent and voila. The continent's center of gravity is low and centralised, because unlike a car, the continent is spread out over a large surface area. It would be easier for you to lift a heavy XBOX than it would be for you to balance a ruler on the tip of your finger. It's not that the car is heavier. It's the same physics at work here.

He can see through women's clothing, but can't see that an entire rocky island looking like his home planet, is made out of kryptonite. :eusa_wall - The "rocky island" is just that: Rocky. It's only 10% Kryptonite. The island's rock formation is an igneous fusion of Kryptonian building crystal, kryptonite and igneous rock from the sea floor. If it was made entirely of kryptonite, Superman would never be able to move it at all. Kryptonite doesn't expand in water. Kryptonian building crystal does. Therefore most of the island is made of the building crystal and earth rock. It's the same crystallite that Superman used to "construct" his Fortress of Solitude. You need to pay more attention to what Lex was saying when they discovered the crystal's building properties. ;)

He took the kryptonite island out into space, away from the earth's gravity. When he let it go, the island floated away while he went weak and dropped back to earth? What pulled him back to earth if he and the island was out of the earth's gravitational pull? :eusa_wall - The Earth's gravitational pull extends to over half a million miles out into space. That's why when meteors come within 1 million miles of the Earth's orbit, their trajectory is distorted, causing many of them to strike the earth's atmosphere. We tend to call these "shooting stars" when we see them burning up in the sky. The continent floated away because of inertia given to it by Superman's speed. Superman fell back to earth because:

He stopped flying under his own will.

This would've cancelled out any intertia he built up from the momentum of achieving escape velocity and...

He was still within the earth's gravity field. The reason why sattellites remain in orbit is because of inertia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia). Click the link to read up on it.

National Geographic & A-Level Physics for the win. :p

[Please sir, can I post one MOAR?]

Xenocrates
June 21, 2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah.... I forgot to mention those. Even when the plane went up past the atmosphere (I imagine) people started to float.... yet it fell back to earth. - You imagine? Did you know that those types of aircrafts have been used to train astronauts in zero-grav? They use crafts like those to launch space shuttles into space all the time - especially for mounting television and internet geosynchronous sattellites (which allow you to watch the UEFA Championships on TV or visit a website hosted on a server located in a foreign country around the curvature of the planet). They don't exit the earth's atmosphere. They fly to an altitude that allows the Shuttle to be able to easily attain escape velocity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity). It's cheaper than using a chemical rocket to launch them all the time. The fuel cost for a jet is much cheaper than that for a rocket, especially if you're only launching payload into low orbit. Chemical rockets are used for launching Shuttles and payload into HIGH orbit, which is in the 100,000 mile range above the Earth's surface. Again, National Geographic for the win... don't people read books anymore?

He could fly faster than sound (had to... cos the lady said that when the boosters fired... you'd hear a loud pop of the sonic boom) - She wasn't referring to Superman. She was referring to when the shuttle would have already (safely detached) from the jet, and fired its own rockets, thus attaining escape velocity. You fail to realise that up until that point in time, nobody on the airplane knew that Superman was back. Pay attention guys... :eusa_wall

and he flew from wherever he was to there... faster than sound.... and yet travelling from space to earth.... with the aid of gravity... still took him a while to reach the plane. - Two things:

Most meteorites hit the earth's surface faster than terminal velocity. In layman's terms, Terminal velocity (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity) is the maximum speed you attain from freefalling by gravity's natural pull. Superman wasn't using gravity's pull to travel. He was travelling under his own will. Therefore his speed must've exceeded Terminal Velocity when approaching the plane in free fall. But...

...if he continued his descent at that speed once he reached the plane, he would have flown right past it - which he eventually had to do to safely cut it's freefall speed to a level where he could level it without crushing it from his own strength. If Superman were to use all of his power to instantaneously stop the plane, he would have ploughed right through it like a hot knife through wet paper, and caused G-Force upswing that would've killed everyone on the plane in an instant.

That scene was VERY realistic. You guys just SUCK at physics. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y142/xenocrates/Smilies/nope.gif

He could be in Europe in seconds. - What if he was already in Europe? :dwl:

He can hear everybody (didn't like that God anology) and yet he didn't know that Louis was in trouble till the last minute. - It's called tonal sifting. When you're in a crowded place, you can hear everyone talking at once. If your girl was calling you from way across the room, chances are that it would take you a long time to sift her voice from the dinn of the others too. It's the same thing with Superman. It's just that the crowded room is much bigger - in this case, an entire planet.

They make his powers limitless but at the same time.. try to limit it in other scenarios. - That's just a failure on your part to understand physics. :p

And why was his skin so soft so that the Kryptonite could penetrate it... yet the injection needles couldn't? I mean... WTH?! - Kryptonite radiation weakens Superman. You do remember this right? :rotflm:

This was not even a reasonable nitpick. :thumbsdown:

Xenocrates
July 16, 2007, 10:27 AM
TRANSFORMERS (2007)

Here are my nitpicks for this movie:

Giant Killer Rubbish - While pretty much all of the transformers were spot on, the mixture of G1 Autobots (eg. Bumblebee & Ironhide) with G3 decepticons (eg. Barricade & Blackout) with a few G1 decepticons (like Starscream and Bonecrusher tossed into the mix) showed that the film makers were just going for bombastic value and not staying true to the source material. I suppose that's ok - since none of the robots transform into what the source material dictated anyway. Bonecrusher (the excavator) is a constructicon - a part of a much bigger robot called Devastator - yet we don't see the other robots of his kin here: but nevermind. Further departures were evident in Megatron's design (eww? Isn't Megatron a Gun?) Optimus Prime's impatience with some human characters (wtf?) and Jazz... That autobot does some strange things in this movie (including nothing) - I shall say no more on that. Watch and see for yourself.

Impossible Physics? - How does a 20-ft giant killer robot lean on a house without crushing it, or hide under a bridge without being seen by choppers in pursuit, or fall from a 70 storey building with a human on his shoulder without crushing him? How does Blackout get called in Qatar from California and still reach there in time for the final show down at the end of the film? Isn't Iran like 7000 miles away on the other side of the Earth? If Blackout wiped out an entire military base in the beginning of the film, how does he get toppled by one soldier toting an rpg? Precision shot? That's bulltish. At the army base, they were tossing everything including the kitchen sink at that bad boy, and still they barely scratched him. But ok... I guess he needed to be dead by the time the credits rolled, and Michael Bay couldn't figure out how to kill him off. Right... cheap shot.

Giant Killer Robots should STFU - Megatron's dialogue was so contrived that it felt just as corny as it did in 1984. What a waste of $500,000 and the voice of brilliant Austrailian actor Hugo Weaving (who you saw as Agent Smith in The Matrix trilogy). Jazz should never have had any lines in the whole movie. Dear God... I just kept wishing they would kill him off or something. Ratchet's commentary on Sam's affection could have been edited out. That line served no useful purpose whatsoever - save for the lame attempt at comedy. It just felt so out of place and unnecessary. In fact, a lot of the lines for the autobots seem incredibly cliché - indicative of old war movies. "But we can't leave him behind!" "We should go on and finish our mission - He would've wanted it that way." "He's a brave soldier - he will be missed" blah, blah, blah... :rolleyes:

Megan Fox - I may like beautiful women, but dumb blondes brunettes annoy me to tears. I kept wishing Shia would bone the lass for great justice. She's ridiculously hot (for a brunette anyway), but she can't act to save the universe. As such, she served for nothing more than for making Shia and Bumblebee look good. Well done Megan! She should stick to playing obnoxious b!tches in teen movies though. Where's Lindsay Lohan @ anyways? Lindsay would SO knock this one out of the park.

The Longest Advertisement EVER - I'm sure I'm not the only person who noticed it, but even though GMC sponsored the cars in the film, there were moments that you got the distinct impression that this movie was nothing more than a 2 hour 20 minute ad for the Naval forces and GMC. One of the most obvious moments is where we see IronHide transform for the very first time. The GMC logo is surrepticiously the last component that assembles itself on the front grille. The other autobots cleverly go window shopping at a GMC car show room for ideas of what to transform into. How convenient. Four of the vehicles in the film are GMC issue! The 2007 GMC Camaro is not even STREET LEGAL - so where does Bumblebee get the opportunity to scan one for assimilation? There are only four of those cars available in the WORLD! Furthermore, F-22 Raptors are NOT yet deployed for military service. So how come so many of them are out in the field in this movie? wtf? :eusa_eh:

http://www.globalaircraft.org/photos/planephotos/f-22-1.jpg
F-22 Raptor

Computers - It'll probably never happen, but apparently, people in movies don't use Windows or any other operating system we know of (even though they use brand name computers we recognize). And why are all the actors punching away at their keyboards? Doesn't anyone use a mouse anymore? Furthermore, when will Hollywood learn that hackers don't use graphics workstations? I mean for crying out loud... :rolleyes:

Frenetic Action Sequences - Keep your eyes peeled. Some of the fight sequences are so fast and furious that you eyes won't be able to track what's going on. A lot of it flashes by in a blur and seems to be the result of clumsy camera work and poor cinematography before the CG was added in.

The ending - I will leave this up to you guys to decide, but something seemed a tad off about the ending. It was lacking... something. :eusa_thin

Compositing Errors - Some of the special effects between humans and transformers fell apart due to lighting problems. If you look closely at that scene where Sam was talking to Prime at his bedroom window, you'll see that the compositing overlay became partially visible as a feint blue texture over the existing picture. You could very clearly see where the real imagery ends and the CG begins. I don't think that was supposed to happen. Furthermore in some fight sequences at the final showdown, you could see where there was some clumsy inconsistency between the giant killer robots and the people running in between them. Sometimes you'd see a man (apparently) get crushed, and literally walk right (through?) the robot. LOL!

Headless Chickens? - The extras running and screaming didn't seem to have been able to discern where the robots really were. You could tell from how they were running that they really knew that there was nothing there. Some of them kept running INTO or THROUGH a robot instead of AWAY or AROUND them. LOL! The assistant directors should be fired for that!

The Beagle - The Beagle that was sent to Mars to try and discover life did not have a rover. So I dunno where they got that from.

Scratched or new? - When Bumblebee approximates the 2007 GMC Camaro, even when he transforms back into robot form, the parts of the camaro that are visible on him still look like the beat up old 1976 one. I notice the same thing on the other transformers. Their robot form shows scratched paint work etc. but the vehicle forms look crisp and brand new. What gives? Does the paint work transform too? LOL

When they came after Sam and Mikaela under the Bridge, and Bumblebee saved them from falling, why didn't Bumblebee just transform and whisk them off? They'd never have captured him in the first place. Silly wabbit wobot. :rolleyes:

How come the allspark only seems to make decepticons? It transformed that Nokia cellphone into an evil crab robot type thingie... LOL! If that were the case, how does it make Autobots? I guess I'll need to wait for part 2 to answer that.

If you guys spot any others, let's see them here!

Manu
July 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
And you thought you saw them all...lol.

Check here...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/goofs