Stir response to duty's call,
    Strengthen us the weak to cherish,
    Give us vision lest we perish,
    Knowledge send us Heavenly Father,
    Grant true wisdom from above,
    Justice, truth be ours forever,
    Jamaica, land we love,
    Jamaica, Jamaica, Jamaica, land we love

Jamaica National Anthem (Orginal Version - Changes in Bold)

Eternal Father, Bless our Land,
    Guard us with thy mighty hand,
    Keep us free from evil powers,
    Be our light through countless hours,
    To our leaders, great defender,
    Jamaica, land we love,

Teach us true respect for all,
    Stir response to duty's call,
    Strengthen us the weak to cherish,
    Give us vision lest we perish,
    Knowledge send us Heavenly Father,
    Jamaica, land we love,

National School Song - I Pleadge My Heart

I pledge my heart forever
    To serve with humble pride
    This shining homeland, ever
    So long as earth abide
    I pedge my heart, this island
    As God and faith shall live
    My work, my strength, my love, and
    My loyalty to give.

O green isle of the Indies,
    Jamaica, strong and free,
    Our vows and loyal promises,
    O heartland, 'tis to thee

Jamaica's National Pledge

Before God and All mankind.
    I pledge the love and loyalty of my heart
    The wisdom and courage of my mind,
    The strength and vigour of my body
    in the service of my fellow citizens.

I promise to stand up for justice,
    Brotherhood and Peace, to work diligently and creatively,
    To think generously and honestly, so that,
    Jamaica may, under God, increase in beauty, fellowship
    and prosperity, and play her part in advancing the welfare
    of the whole human race.

Jamaica's National Prayer

Let us give thanks for all God's goodness and the wonderful heritage into which we have entered:
    Response to each petition: We give thee thanks, O God

For Jamaica, our island home, the land of our birth -

RESPONSE
    For the majesty of our hills, the beauty of our valleys, and the flaming loveliness of our gardens –

RESPONSE
    For the warmth and brightness of our days and the calm and peace of our countryside –

RESPONSE
    For the rich heritage of our people coming for many races, and yet one in purpose, in achievement, and in destiny, and for the dignity of labour and the service given by every citizen of our land –

RESPONSE
    For freedom, just laws and our democratic way of life –

RESPONSE
    For the high privilege and responsibility of Independence and for bringing us to nationhood –

RESPONSE
    For our parents, teachers, religious and other leaders and all those who in every walk of life are helping to prepare us for responsible citizenship, and for all those who are giving voluntary service in the public interest –

RESPONSE
    For the poets, artists and thinkers and all who create in us the vision of a new and better society –

RESPONSE
    For our godly heritage, the example of Jesus Christ and the sacrifices of our fathers in the faith –

RESPONSE

The National Heroes' Song

Jamaican National Heroes Song: Forward, Forever United Which We Seek You Seek

Chorus: Forward, forever united
    Students workers and farmers

1. Granny Nanny of Nanny Town
    symbol of unity and strength
    lighted the flame of freedom
    in the hearts of earlier Jamaicans

Chorus

2. Sam Sharpe, non-violent leader
    instigated the slaves of Jamaica
    to fight for freedom and liberty
    and throw off the shackles of slavery

Chorus

3. George William Gordon, far seeing statesman
    struggled for human rights and dignity
    he was unjustly executed
    for raising his voice against oppression

Chorus

4. Paul Bogle of Stony Gut
    fought against oppression and deception
    leader, preacher and martyr
    he died in the cause of justice

Chorus

5. Marcus Mosiah Garvey
    fighter of Black Man's dignity
    throughout every nation
    he gave all black man a dream

Chorus

6. Patriot Norman Manley
    made politics an instrument of progress
    father of the nation
    man of integrity and justice

Chorus

7. Alexander Bustamante
    a ledgendary figure in his lifetime
    indomitable labour leader
    first Prime Minister of Jamaica

Final chorus
    Forward forever united
    Jamaica united forever

Default Re: National Songs,Emblems & Symbols

Jamaica's National Heroes

Jamaica’s National Heroes dared to challenge the institution of colonialism and in so doing changed the course of Jamaica’s history giving social and political freedom to its people. Today, the statues of Jamaica’s seven National Heroes stand in proud acknowledgment, in the National Heroes Park in Kingston where they are viewed with inspiring pride, unforgettable symbols of Jamaica’s enduring strength.

PAUL BOGLE
    birth date uncertain-died 1865.
    Paul Bogle, a Baptist Deacon was generally regarded as a peaceful man who shunned violence. He believed in the teachings of the Bible, endorsing the principles of charity and endurance. Yet he was also a leader and organizer who knew well the terrains of the land and had spent time in educating and training his followers. He lived in St. Thomas and led the Morant Bay Rebellion in 1865.

GEORGE WILLIAM GORDON
    1820-1865.
    George William Gordon was a free colored land owner and an associate of Bogle. As a member of the House of Parliament, he used his position to highlight the sufferings of the people and to make a plea for changes. The Morant Bay Rebellion and the resultant deaths of Bogle and Gordon precipitated the beginning of a new era in Jamaica’s development. The British government became compelled to make changes including outstanding reforms in education, health, local government, banking and infrastructure.

NANNY
    lived and died in Nanny Town.
    Nanny of the Maroons stands out in history as the only female among Jamaica’s national heroes. She possessed that fierce fighting spirit generally associated with the courage of men. In fact, Nanny is described as a fearless Asante warrior who used militarist techniques to foul and beguile the English. Like the heroes of the pre Independence era, Nanny too met her untimely death at the instigation of the English sometime around 1750's. Yet, the spirit of Nanny of the Maroons remains today as a symbol of that indomitable desire that will never yield to captivity.

SAMUEL SHARPE
    1801-1832
    ‘Daddy’ Sam Sharpe, as he was affectionately called was to carry on the Resistance against slavery effecting at the young age of 31, the most outstanding Slave Rebellion in Jamaica’s history. Sharpe, an educated town slave, was a preacher and spokesman. Intelligent and sharp, he followed the developments of the abolition movement by reading discarded local and foreign papers and was able to advise his followers. Sharpe was tired of slavery, spent months in strategic planning, educating the slaves and traveling from estate to estate in secret meetings at nights, igniting the slaves with inspiring messages of hope of freedom. The 1831 Christmas Rebellion started in St. James and spread throughout the entire island. The Rebellion started on December 28 and lasted 8 days. Sam Sharpe was eventually captured and hung at the Parade in Montego Bay (now renamed Sam Sharpe Square). On August 28, 1833 slavery was abolished and the System of Apprenticeship instituted, allowing for the total freedom of slaves in the next 4-6 years. On August 1, 1938 the Apprenticeship System ended granting full freedom to the slaves.

SIR ALEXANDER BUSTAMANTE
    1884-1977
    Alexander Bustamante was an aggressive, outspoken young man who understood the dynamics of labor relations. A charismatic and impressive speaker, he used the media to criticize the prevailing political system and its attendant social problems. He started the Industrial Trade Union in 1938 and was jailed for 17 moths following labor riots. He became Jamaica’s first Chief Minister, a position he held until 1954, being knighted that same year by the queen. On August 6, 1962 Jamaica was granted full independence. At the first session of Parliament, Bustamante received the Instruments of Independence from the queen’s representative, Princess Margaret. This time in Jamaica’s history drastic changes were heralded, not by bloodshed but by peaceful negotiations.

NORMAN WASHINGTON MANLEY
    1893-1969.
    Norman Washington Manley founded the People’s National Party which later was tied to the Trade Union Congress and the N.W. U. Together with Bustamante, their efforts resulted in the New Constitution of 1944 granting full Adult Suffrage. In 1955 Manley was elected Chief Minister. The 400 year British Rule, invoking slavery, deculturisation, uprising and bloodshed was now at an end.

MARCUS MOSIAH GARVEY
    1887-1940.
    Marcus Mosiah Garvey stands out in history as one who was greatly committed to the concept of the Emancipation of minds. Garvey who was born in St. Ann became famous worldwide as a leader who was courageous and eloquent in his call for improvement for Blacks. He sought the unification of all Blacks through the establishment of the United Negro Improvement Association and spoke out against economic exploitation and cultural denigration. He spent many years in the United States pursuing his goal of Black Unification.

The Jamaican National Bird

The "Doctor Bird" (Trochilus polytmus) lives only in Jamaica and is one of the most outstanding of all the species of Humming Birds. The feathers of the Doctor Bird are beautifully iridescent, a characteristic peculiar to this family

National Flower - Lignum Vitae

Lignum Vitae (Guiacum officinale) is indigenous to Jamaica and was found here by Christopher Columbus. It is thought that the name "Wood of Life" was then adopted because of its medicinal qualities.

The tree grows best in the dry woodlands along both the North and South coasts of the island. In addition to shedding an attractive blue flower, the plant itself is extremely ornamental. The wood is widely used in the manufacture of propeller shaft bearings for ships, as well as in the creation of curios, sought after by visitors and nationals alike.

National Tree - Blue Mahoe

Mahoe (Hibiscus elatus). This has been regarded as one of the primary economic timbers. It is currently much used for re-afforestation and is a valuable source of cabinet timber. Of an attractive blue-green colour with variegated yellowish intrusions, it is capable of showing to advantage the variety of grain and colour tones. The trade, local and foreign, consumes annually many thousands of feet of this beautiful timber.

The Jamaican Coat of Arms

The original Coat of Arms granted to Jamaica in 1661, was designed by the then Archbishop of Canterbury, William Sanderoft. Apart from a partial revision in 1957, it remaines virtually the same as was originally designed. The Arms shows a male and female Arawak, standing on either side of the shield which bears a red cross with five golden pineapples superimposed on it. The Crest is a Jamaican crocodile surmounting the Royal Helmet and Mantlings. The original Latin motto, "Indus Uterque Serviet Uni", has been changed to one in English: "Out of Many one People"

The Jamaica National Flag

The Jamaica National Flag came into use on August 6,1962, jamaica’s Independence Day. It was designed by a bipartisan committee of the Jamaica House of representatives.

The Flag has a diagonal cross or saltire with four triangles in juxtaposition. The diagonal cross is in gold and one-sixth of the length of the fly of the flag; the top and bottom triangles are in green; and the hoist and fly triangles are in black. The exact shade of green used in the flag is Emerald T8 17, British Admiralty Bunting Pattern. The Flag follows the "Admiralty Pattern" and the proportion is 2 x 1.

"Hardships there are but the land is green and the sun shineth" is the symbolism of the Flag. Black stands for hardships overcome and to be faced; Gold, for natural wealth and beauty of sunlight; and Green stands for hope and agricultural resources.

Ackee the Jamaican National Fruit

Ackee the Jamaican National Fruit . Ackee (Blighia sapida). Whilst not indigenous to Jamaica, this fruit has remarkable historic associations. It was originally imported from West Africa, probably brought here in a slave ship, and now grows luxuriously producing each year large quantities of edible fruit.

The tree was unknown to science until plants were taken from Jamaica to England in 1973 by none other than Captain William Bligh of "Mutiny on the Bounty" fame, hence the botanical name "Blighia spadia" in honour of the notorious sea captain. One of the earliest local propagators of the tree was Dr. Thomas Clarke who introduced it to the eastern parishes in 1778.

Jamaica is the only place where the fruit is generally recognized as an edible crop, although the plant has been introduced into most of the other Caribbean islands.

The Jamaican National Costume

A full-flaired skirt made of Madras bandana (predominantly red plaid cotton) material worn usually with a white blouse edged with matching bandana. Headwear varies from bandana wrapped in a special design to straw hat decorated with flowers. Above is Jamaica's folk ambassador Miss Lou Miss Lou in The National Costume on the cover of her book Jamaica Labrish.

Taken from Jamaicans
    Last edited by AngelsKiss; October 30, 2005 at 11:57 AM.

oh i like that dress; thats how i dress on a day to day basis, matching headwrap and all.

the other day when i was saying the National Anthem it comeing like i did not know it and some ppl was worst than me, at least i could sy it but forget some of the words but some ppl just saying it wrong
    travis

hmmm, this is something that could be started for every country that we have a section for.

My word...forget your National Anthem? What are schools coming to these days???

At Primary school...we said the Pledge and sang the Anthem atleast 3 times per week for the 5 years I spent at primary school. They also use to let us sing the Heroes song and the school song. I could never....ever forget my my pledge and my national anthem...no matter what....no matter where I go...unless I'm old and have alziemer's. You mad? That's a disgrace Tredag and I suggest that you make due of the oppurtunity here to learn the words. Damn shame!
    Last edited by Manu; November 2, 2005 at 03:10 PM.

Thread Information