Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why smoke or drink alcohol or do drugs?

Default Re: Why smoke or drink alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    At the root of it is something you spoke of, the need to feel something or escape from something.
    What about the people who are addicted to other dangerous pursuits ?

People who feel the need to drive at 250 miles an hour?
    (A friend's father had to give up street racing, because the constant adrenaline high contributed to his heart attacks)

Or free-climb up a mountain with NO SAFETY GEAR

or sail around the South pacific facing 60 Ft waves for 8 months by themsleves?

Or free-dive off cliffs ?

Or bungie-jump ?

What are they escaping from ?

It points to some deeper psychological condition which in fact, does indicate dependence. You may think you "can't allow yourself to be dependent" but in reality you are. Those deeper issues need to be resolved so you can be healthy.
    Why are you always so quick to tell me how I am feeling, or what I am lacking ?

What the hell is healthy ?

You asked, and I am telling you, please do not turn this into a I need this, I am missing that debate. If you ask me questions I will answer you, as best I can.

What am I dependent on ?

Which deeper psychological condition is that ?
    Last edited by nester-san; January 29, 2006 at 09:51 AM.

5 beers is over doing it Nester-san. And beers don't taste good. Justify it all you want though. To each their own. When you have a child, I hope you'll be just as liberal and if you are....I hope her body is just as tolerant as yours.

So you're saying in essence,everyone is doing it so what's the big deal right? You remind me of that dude in the commercial that stuck his hand in his mouth and couldn't get it out. His friend's told him to try pot and he did. Today they told him to stick his fist in his mouth and now it's stuck. Really funny ad.
    Last edited by Manu; January 29, 2006 at 09:45 AM.

I do have a child.
    Who I expect to be mature enough to make choices about her body before she actually does do anything.

Beers are quite nasty, but alcohol is alcohol !

Only a teetolaer can criticise a drinker without being a hypocrite.

"I sip rum cream, so I am fine, while the 5 beer drinkers are bad" LOL

I do not drink or smoke more, simply because I have no wish to. When I wish to I do. Simple
    Last edited by nester-san; January 29, 2006 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nester-san
    I do have a child.
    Who I expect to be mature enough to make choices about her body before she actually does do anything.

Beers are quite nasty, but alcohol is alcohol !

Only a teetolaer can criticise a drinker without being a hypocrite.

"I sip rum cream, so I am fine, while the 5 beer drinkers are bad" LOL

I do not drink or smoke more, simply because I have no wish to. When I wish to I do. Simple

No Nester....we going back and forth and we agree on one pivotal point : "Moderation"!

I say I drink Alcoholic beverages from time to time...like 1-3 times per year. I don't even drink much....because I like how the alocohol brings out the taste of the cream. I just don't see how some one can chug down 5 beers in a row. It doesn't taste good...so it must just be for the sheer exhileration of "getting hammered". That's what I was talking about. As for the smoking...I see no sense in it what's so ever.....but as I said before...and will continue to say...to each his own. Afterall, if we all were alike, this world would be even MORE boring

What about the people who are addicted to other dangerous pursuits ?

People who feel the need to drive at 250 miles an hour?
    (A friend's father had to give up street racing, because the constant adrenaline high contributed to his heart attacks)

Or free-climb up a mountain with NO SAFETY GEAR

or sail around the South pacific facing 60 Ft waves for 8 months by themsleves?

Or free-dive off cliffs ?

Or bungie-jump ?

What are they escaping from ?
    Maybe the same thing those who do drugs are. But we aren't talking about them. We can always make another thread for that.

Why are you always so quick to tell me how I am feeling, or what I am lacking ?
    You put yourself and your feelings out there. Read your posts again.

What the hell is healthy ?
    Not doing anything that is self-destructive.
    Not taking unnecessary risks with your life.
    Having a balanced, stable and wholesome mind, body and spirit.

What am I dependent on ?

Which deeper psychological condition is that ?
    That's for you to figure out and to deal with.
    Working for a better future.

You do know those people are referred to as "adrenaline junkies" because they crave the high that you get when you get an adrenaline rush ?

Friends dad when telling stories of his driving exploits used to say when he came out of the car his hands and body would be trembling all over coming down off adrenaline rush ?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    Adrenaline junkie is a colloquialism used to describe somebody who is presumably addicted to adrenaline and its effects on the body. The adrenaline in question comes from an endogenous source (i.e., the adrenal gland) and does not imply the use of exogenous adrenaline (e.g., injection).

Adrenaline junkies enjoy engaging in activities that stimulate the adrenal glands, which are responsible for producing a broad spectrum of hormones which cause the stress response, also known as the fight-or-flight response. Adrenaline is the most well-known hormone in this family, although each of the hormones, which include noradrenaline, cortisol, and various other catecholamines and corticosteroids, play a part in the stress response. The effects include hyperarousal, increased blood flow, heightened pulse rate, and increased physical performance, which adrenaline junkies find an enjoyable and invigorating state of mind and body.
    Sounds druggie to me !

Quote Originally Posted by BCK
    You put yourself and your feelings out there. Read your posts again."
    You asked a question, I answered personally, I was not aware that this would involve a psychiatric evaluation

You started from "but this is bad for you, what do you get out of it", which is fine to
    At the root of it is something you spoke of, the need to feel something or escape from something. It points to some deeper psychological condition which in fact, does indicate dependence. You may think you "can't allow yourself to be dependent" but in reality you are. Those deeper issues need to be resolved so you can be healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu
    About Alcohol, I sip a smirnoff or rum cream like 1-3 times per year. I don't like the mix up and binge drinking of alochol. As you all should know, alcohol brings out the taste of drinks and food...and plus it sort of relaxes you so that's why I may sip a little now and then. I hate to see people go and gulp down 5 beers at a party(which tastes awful IMHO). No flavour....just bitter. To each their own I suppose....
    Where is Manu's critique as an part time alcohol user?

btw. Manu, I do not even like how alcohol burns/tastes, I hate rum cream for that reason, I prefer very fuity drinks where you can't taste it, or mixed stuff where it is almost completely masked.

With all the scientific evidence which exists proving the harmful effects of smoking (whether tobacco, or marijuana) and alcohol consumption, why do people continue to start to smoke and drink alcohol? Why do people start in the first place?
    -Curiosity
    -Peer Pressure

Why is there so much promotion of these unhealthy habbits?
    $$$$$$$

Alcohol is probably the most sought after commodity in the world behind oil and coffee. Tobacco may be in the top ten.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy the type of misery one can enjoy.

to fit in
    look at the patience that I'm demonstratin'
    After a week or two I usually start eliminatin'
    But we got thru the convo on the phone
    Now we finally chillin' in the condo all alone
    I tried to be the expressive, without bein' aggressive
    Just bein suggestive, a lil more impressive

With all the scientific evidence which exists proving the harmful effects of smoking (whether tobacco, or marijuana) and alcohol consumption, why do people continue to start to smoke and drink alcohol? Why do people start in the first place? Why is there so much promotion of these unhealthy habbits?
    There are person doing medicine at the university here and they smoking everyday
    It's better to Try and Fail than Fail to Try

Manu, I do not even like how alcohol burns/tastes, I hate rum cream for that reason, I prefer very fuity drinks where you can't taste it, or mixed stuff where it is almost completely masked.
    Yeah...I'm not too fond of that either...but rum cream is simply delish.....
    I do prefer the fruity drinks....the alcohol brings out the fruit. I hear champagne only tastes good with fruit...like strawberries...for that very reason...

Thread Information