Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race relations in Trinidad

Default Race relations in Trinidad

How well do the different racial groups get along in Trinidad? Is it true that the Indians don't like the blacks and vice versa? What's the real deal? What's the history?
    Working for a better future.

Default Re: Race relations in Trinidad

I am not Trinidadian but going by what I have observed on my University campus, there doesnt seem to be much social assimiliation between the different racial groups from that island. There is a very visible partition between the blacks, whites, indians, and the mixed individuals. The only social assimilation seems to occur at a fete aka party.

I remember I was speaking with a Trinidadian girl sometime last year. We had gotten on the topic of UWI, and I asked why she hadnt considered going to UWI in Trinidad. Her response, 'Well me being a white Catholic girl and all amongst all the Indians, it wouldnt work out'.

I didnt know what to say. I was kind of shocked at what seemed to be a deep indifference to the said group on her part. She was quite cool in saying it, as though it was a socially normal and acceptable mindset and attitude to have.

But I am sure the Trinidadians on this board, esp. Juliet can refute or back up my comments.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy the type of misery one can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama Mama
    I am not Trinidadian but going by what I have observed on my University campus, there doesnt seem to be much social assimiliation between the different racial groups from that island. There is a very visible partition between the blacks, whites, indians, and the mixed individuals. The only social assimilation seems to occur at a fete aka party.

I remember I was speaking with a Trinidadian girl sometime last year. We had gotten on the topic of UWI, and I asked why she hadnt considered going to UWI in Trinidad. Her response, 'Well me being a white Catholic girl and all amongst all the Indians, it wouldnt work out'.

I didnt know what to say. I was kind of shocked at what seemed to be a deep indifference to the said group on her part. She was quite cool in saying it, as though it was a socially normal and acceptable mindset and attitude to have.

But I am sure the Trinidadians on this board, esp. Juliet can refute or back up my comments.

I've heard similar things.

It comes from slavery days I think and Politics did little to stem it. Panday is Indian and Manning is black. It's very deep there. Indians think blacks are low and the blacks think indians are even lower......

Ah...

You arent speaking for the entire country
    I was banned for two years

Flirt

You are Trinidadian right? If you are, why dont you answer the question that BCK put forth in the first place? You would be more qualified than alot of us here if you are Trinidadian to answer the question and set the record straight, right? The wagging finger isnt much help.
    Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy the type of misery one can enjoy.

Hail

I would disagree with Manu with regards to slavery having anything to do with it.
    As I overstand it, the Indians in Trinidad starting arriving there about the same time they did in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean. The difference being in the number of arrivals.

The Indians started arriving in the Caribbean at a time when there was much hardship being experienced in India itself. It was no longer being considered the "Jewel in the Crown", for the locals most of the land was taken by the imperialist for tea plantations, hemp plantations and such others.
    There was very little land for distribution among the people as traditionally each patriarch would divide his property among his male heirs, with no land to inherit there was no way a man could provide for his family or even get married.
    The colonial masters decided that Indian migration would be a great way to replace labour lost by the abolition of slavery. This is key because having not experienced slavery in the direct form the Indians arrived with their cultural identity intact, the also came with their traditional skills and once their indentured service was over quickly established themselves into a mercantile and tradesman class. At first servicing the needs of their immediate community and then to the entire country at large.

For whatever reasons it seems that the African population never kept pace with the Indians who seemed to be more united and culturally aware of themselves.
    It must always be remembered that the Indians in Trinidad out number the African population, and even today mixed marriages are frowned upon, as I've been told by my Trinidadian friends.

It seems that Africans are under represent in institutions of higher learning but are over represented in the penal system. I've been told that almost 99.99% of crack addicts (pipers as they are called) are blacks.
    It seems the Indians are better educated and hold higher positions in most facets of life in that country, which could be the reason for the division.

I've been told there are many instances of cultural integration and co-operation and Trinidad has had some politicians and civil leaders who have been adept at keep the people with all their cultural differences together.

It would be great to hear from the Trinis with regards to the real side of this issue.

Izemi-Clem
    Jah Guides us
    He serves and protects
    He is everything to everyone
    Jah Guide
    Root Cause wants YOU to "SEH SUP'M"

So basically the Indians had a jump start way ahead of the Africans by virtue of an intact sense of identity and skills from the homeland ?
    Attitude is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Izemi-Clem
    Hail

I would disagree with Manu with regards to slavery having anything to do with it.
    As I overstand it, the Indians in Trinidad starting arriving there about the same time they did in Jamaica and the rest of the Caribbean. The difference being in the number of arrivals.

The Indians started arriving in the Caribbean at a time when there was much hardship being experienced in India itself. It was no longer being considered the "Jewel in the Crown", for the locals most of the land was taken by the imperialist for tea plantations, hemp plantations and such others.
    There was very little land for distribution among the people as traditionally each patriarch would divide his property among his male heirs, with no land to inherit there was no way a man could provide for his family or even get married.
    The colonial masters decided that Indian migration would be a great way to replace labour lost by the abolition of slavery. This is key because having not experienced slavery in the direct form the Indians arrived with their cultural identity intact, the also came with their traditional skills and once their indentured service was over quickly established themselves into a mercantile and tradesman class. At first servicing the needs of their immediate community and then to the entire country at large.

For whatever reasons it seems that the African population never kept pace with the Indians who seemed to be more united and culturally aware of themselves.
    It must always be remembered that the Indians in Trinidad out number the African population, and even today mixed marriages are frowned upon, as I've been told by my Trinidadian friends.

It seems that Africans are under represent in institutions of higher learning but are over represented in the penal system. I've been told that almost 99.99% of crack addicts (pipers as they are called) are blacks.
    It seems the Indians are better educated and hold higher positions in most facets of life in that country, which could be the reason for the division.

I've been told there are many instances of cultural integration and co-operation and Trinidad has had some politicians and civil leaders who have been adept at keep the people with all their cultural differences together.

It would be great to hear from the Trinis with regards to the real side of this issue.

Izemi-Clem
    Yes Izemi. My typing worded it wrong. I meant post-slavery during indenture labouring. Long mi nuh do history you know. If Indians out number blacks...how did Manning win???? Oh well....dem can cuss we bout homophobia but racial segregation is quite the norm. Talk about apples and oranges

Can we get some Trini feedback?

Thread Information