Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has the church failed? What more should they be doing?

Default Has the church failed? What more should they be doing?

The sentiment that the church has failed in its responsibility to society is something that has been touched on in various discussions on this forum. In Jamaica, it is a topical issue. With the level of crime and violence plaguing the nation, many feel that the church isn't doing enough to remedy the situation. Is that the sentiment in other nations as well? How is the church perceived in other Caribbean nations? Are they felt to have failed in their responsibilities to society too? What more should the church be doing to help better the society and reduce the negative things which afflict it?
    Working for a better future.

Default Re: Has the church failed? What more should they be doing?

I know that this is'nt directed at me, but I am hopefully a honory caribyardie. If we have a belief and we do our best to live by that belief, this is all well and good. In our day to day attempts at walking the narrow and winding path, we should still be open (mentally) to the possibility of always learning something new. We should not be too afraid of accepting something that to all intents and purposes goes against our original belief.

Afterall Saul, later Paul, was living and doing what he knew to be right, until it was shown to him that though God never changes in his goodness, he has many facets to his unchanging diamond persona.

Where churches and individual members of the body of churces go wrong, is that they don't listen and look carefully at how phases of changes are taking place, and how they should move on and learn to keep up with those changes. If for example they learned that Christ is a seperate individual to The Almighty God, then they should not be frightened to pass this new knowledge on, instead of thinking they would be out of step with the original teaching, so therefore some people who see these things yet do not see it being propounded, gradually drift away, or conclude that the church is unable to practice humility, but would rather stubbornly stay entrenched in old style dogma.

The church has'nt completely failed, but it is ailing and failing. We have to walk the way of our heavenly Father and not try to accomodate our heavenly Father in the way we walk.

How has the church failed?
    What more should they be doing?

Something that I'll always remember my pastor saying in quoting someone he knew
    "The only army that shoots its own wounded is the Christian army..."
    We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who don't.

The church could start by uniting for the purpose of looking at the issues that affect our nation, then come to an areement on how to go about affectingchange, but the main thibg is that they be united. In the past certain churches have adopted varying principles so as to attract a particular congregation which is the reason for it's present day impotence.
    GIVE GOD THANKS

What is the purpose of the church?

What role should regular people be playing in helping the church be effective at its mission?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    What is the purpose of the church?

What role should regular people be playing in helping the church be effective at its mission?
    The main purpose of the church is to preach the coming KINGDOM OF GOD, and to prepare ourselves for it. In order to be a active member of the body of christ, namely the church, you can and only be a regular person, even when given added responsibility as a pastor etc.

What people should do above all else, is to donate their time and money to help their immediate community in whatever constructive way they can, especially the impressionable youths. It would not be easy, but with strong conviction and determination, I'm sure headway in a forward direction could be made.

Without reading the question, or the posts by others, and i did this deliberately, I will say that the church has not failed.

If it did, all of us would be out there in the streets or dead.

The thing that has truly failed, is us.

We have failed ourselves.

We have lost sight of the very thing that is most important (even without religion and the church ) and that is FAMILY.

The one thing that keeps a society whole, refreshing and strong is family.
    Attitude is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Without reading the question, or the posts by others, and i did this deliberately, I will say that the church has not failed.

The thing that has truly failed, is us.

We have failed ourselves.

We have lost sight of the very thing that is most important (even without religion and the church ) and that is FAMILY.

The one thing that keeps a society whole, refreshing and strong is family.
    Remarkable ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion

Really? Why is that?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy the type of misery one can enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by easyskanka
    The main purpose of the church is to preach the coming KINGDOM OF GOD, and to prepare ourselves for it.
    Would it be fair to say that the church is currently doing what you mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by easyskanka
    What people should do above all else, is to donate their time and money to help their immediate community in whatever constructive way they can, especially the impressionable youths. It would not be easy, but with strong conviction and determination, I'm sure headway in a forward direction could be made.
    Would it be fair to say that if people were listening and putting into practice the teachings of the church, that such outreach and philanthropy would come about much easier and more widespread?

Thread Information