Thread: Sexual Harrassment in Jamaica

Default Sexual Harrassment in Jamaica

In yesterday's Jamaica Observer, the writer Mark Wignal wrote in his column about the unfortunate experiences of some women with a certain prominent businessman who made their employment at his company unbearable with his blatant and demeaning sexual advances.

How widespread is this kind of harrassment in Jamaica? What needs to be done about it? How should it be handled?
    Working for a better future.

Default Re: Sexual Harrassment in Jamaica

Sexual Harassment exists everywhere in business. The only way to combat it is for the corporations, and businesses that are employing these women are taking is seriously. They CEO's have to impliment CODES OF CONDUCT that MUST be followed, failure to do so should lead to disciplinary action up to and including dismissal.

Also WOMEN have to stop taking it. They need to stand up for themselves, and in addition try not to perpetuate it. I know there are women in my office who use sexuality in one form or another to get ahead with the male bosses. That can lead to harassment for the woman in wuestion as well as for other women in the office too.

At my company, the code of conduct and UNION is really serious about itch like that. The last thing ANY man in this company wants is to be accused of sexual harassment because in the past it has lead to law suits and formal criminal CHARGES. So that's what needs to be done....

Make people understand that it is serious, and when it happens, make surethat it is taken seriously and not swept under the rug, making it acceptable behaviour.
    Tweeta Fineeta

Good points BG, but I think that it has gone a little too far in North America. I've heard jokes made about men being afraid to open doors for the ladies because some of them are so testy that they may complain to the comapny that the man is trying to make them feel inferior and incapabale of opening a door. Yes I know that this may reflect the thinking of a small minority, but it's a sentiment lingering out there nonetheless. Having said that I suspect that the labour laws in Jamaica could be tightened up a little to take this topic into more consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Good points BG, but I think that it has gone a little too far in North America. I've heard jokes made about men being afraid to open doors for the ladies because some of them are so testy that they may complain to the comapny that the man is trying to make them feel inferior and incapabale of opening a door. Yes I know that this may reflect the thinking of a small minority, but it's a sentiment lingering out there nonetheless. Having said that I suspect that the labour laws in Jamaica could be tightened up a little to take this topic into more consideration.
    You're right! it has gone too far! People in North America can get sued over complete NONSENSE! It has defintely gone too far but guess what? I works! So maybe for people, it has to be one extreme or the other because they do not comprehend something as simple as MUTUAL RESPECT!

You are so right though Chris... in Canada the men in the work place have to be soooooo careful because to be honest, the define harassment as ANY unwanted attention PERIOD. So if you smile at a female the wrong way that could lead to an issue! I'm telling you man it's out of order lol
    Tweeta Fineeta

Quote Originally Posted by Bashment Girl
    You're right! it has gone too far! People in North America can get sued over complete NONSENSE! It has defintely gone too far but guess what? I works! So maybe for people, it has to be one extreme or the other because they do not comprehend something as simple as MUTUAL RESPECT!

You are so right though Chris... in Canada the men in the work place have to be soooooo careful because to be honest, the define harassment as ANY unwanted attention PERIOD. So if you smile at a female the wrong way that could lead to an issue! I'm telling you man it's out of order lol
    Jamaica doesn't need to take it as far as the folks up north. I don't want to see the day when Jamaican law allows a man to be sued/sanctioned for smiling at a woman. That's just plain silly. What attention needs to be put on is people using their positions of power to force sexual favours from others.

In the article, Mr. Wignal did not name the businessman in question. But I have a very good idea as to who I think it is. I've heard the stories about it too, and it really is messed up. He preys upon young women and makes their lives miserable. According to the article, his M.O. was to call the ladies into his office for some business matter, then hide behind the door. When they come in, hed quickly close the door behind him then grab them from behind and start groping them. That's the kind of crap that needs to be cracked down on. Guys like him make the rest of the men look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    In the article, Mr. Wignal did not name the businessman in question. But I have a very good idea as to who I think it is. I've heard the stories about it too, and it really is messed up. He preys upon young women and makes their lives miserable. According to the article, his M.O. was to call the ladies into his office for some business matter, then hide behind the door. When they come in, hed quickly close the door behind him then grab them from behind and start groping them. That's the kind of crap that needs to be cracked down on. Guys like him make the rest of the men look bad.
    It shouldn't even have to be a law! There should be mutual respect amongst co-workers and humans in general. I will tell you this much though, over here, as extreme and ridiculous as our laws and unions can be.... that individual you mention wouldn't get away with that. So sometimes, unfortunately, go to extremes is the only way to deal with people like him.

That's just from my observation.
    Tweeta Fineeta

Quote Originally Posted by Bashment Girl
    It shouldn't even have to be a law! There should be mutual respect amongst co-workers and humans in general. I will tell you this much though, over here, as extreme and ridiculous as our laws and unions can be.... that individual you mention wouldn't get away with that. So sometimes, unfortunately, go to extremes is the only way to deal with people like him.

That's just from my observation.
    What baffles me is that someone can just come out in the open and be that way. They don't seem to be concerned about what people think of them, what people say, or whether reports of this reach their spouses, or their bosses, or the media. It's like they think they are invincible or something.

I guess this particular guy feels he's so hot that no one will be looking out or looking in at him. He probably thinks no one is looking better than him either.

Sexual harassment is a serious issue and it happens too often. I think that people should not be afraid to lose their jobs and speak up when it occurs. As I said it happens far too often in places you'd never expect.

There was a news report yesterday about the govt. making several changes to legislation to ensure fair treatment of women. Also it was mentioned that legislation regarding sexual harrasment is under development.

Thread Information