Thread: Religious Studies in school

Exclamation Religious Studies in school

When I was in highschool, religious studies was a mandatory subject from 7th grade to 9th grade. By default religious studies was based on Christianity and its doctrines found in the bible. I do not know how it is in the rest of the region, so if someone could enlighten me. However with the ongoing debates about religion and its separation from state entities, I have a few questions:

-Should religious studies be apart of a school's curriculum? Why or Why not?

-If it is maintained in the school's curriculum, is it reasonable to introduce and discuss other religions like Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc, since religion is a banner for various faiths, and not just Christianity?

-Is it possible to teach religion with an approach to inform instead of convert?
    Money can't buy happiness, but it will buy the type of misery one can enjoy.

Default Re: Religious Studies in school

Quote Originally Posted by Bahama Mama View Post
    -Should religious studies be apart of a school's curriculum? Why or Why not?
    I think Religious Education should be a part of a school's curriculum. Religion is an important part of the human experience, and for children to have a balanced education, teaching them about religion is important I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    -If it is maintained in the school's curriculum, is it reasonable to introduce and discuss other religions like Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc, since religion is a banner for various faiths, and not just Christianity?
    I think it is reasonable for there to be discussions on different religions. This was the case when I was in school. We learned about different religions and philosophies.

Quote Originally Posted by BM
    -Is it possible to teach religion with an approach to inform instead of convert?
    It is possible to do so. When I learned about different religions in school, it was as a part of the study of history, and social cultures. So the aim was to give insight as to what people believed and practiced, and how these beliefs and practices came about.

You may well find though, that some parents will object to certain things being taught to their children. Much is dependent on how things are presented, and what exactly is imparted. Not all teachers are able to maintain objectivity when dealing with subjects such as religion. Some teachers use such classes as a platform to push their own agendas. Sometimes thing may be misrepresented. As with everything, there is some risk and imperfection.
    Parents will always need to be aware and vigilant so they can guide their children
    Working for a better future.

Arrow Re: Religious Studies in school

Should religious studies be apart of a school's curriculum? Why or Why not?
    - Absolutely. Because it creates balance in the education of the child. Not teaching religious knowledge only stunts the development of their mind. Children must be made to understand that there are ultimate questions in the universe for which there is no logical or scientific answer. Ultimately, it also provides the basis for moral grounding.

- Absolutely. That's the only way you can differentiate between truth and falsehood.

- Yes. It happens everyday. It's the Catholic institutions that really try to convert you as a part of the curriculum. Others just expect you to abide by the moral obligations of the institution, but rarely engage in outright conversion.
    Copyright 2003 - 2008, Xenocratesian Institute of Awesomeness
    Example is better than Indoctrination @ http://xenlogic.wordpress.com
    "Xenocratus locuti est; causa finita est"
    All Rights Reserved.

Default Re: Religious Studies in school

The last time I checked, which was not too long ago, RE was still mandatory up to certain grades. Different religions were also taught. It's a good way to give insight into the morals and beliefs of the different religions. Plus personally, when taught right it can help to get rid of preconceived notions, and also helps people understand why people are the way they are in regards to certain things.
    Sleep is an ever fleeting memory

Thread Information