Thread: Calabash 2007

Thumbs up Calabash 2007

Hail

Calabash 2007 was held on the last strong-end (weekend)in May.
    Again it was awesome and as always serves as a source of inspiration for all peoples interested in Literature of all forms.

Unfortunately I found out on my way down to Calabash Bay that my camera wasn't working and was unable to take pictures like the year before.
    However some friends have promised to send I some of their pictures.

The featured book this year was V.S. Naipaul's book "The Mystic Massuse" read by Jamaican personalities Cindy Breakspeare, Peter Bunting,Barry Chevannes and Pat Ramsey.

The format was changed somewhat which saw the CommonWealth Literary Awards being presented at the festival, whereby nominees from North America, Africa, Asia and the Caribbean read from their nominated works. Bullet Bullet Bullet !!!

All presentations stood out but there was an exceptional presentation from American actor Roger Guenveur Smith who what can be described as a one man multi-media show entitled "Who Killed Bob Marley", it was a dedication to his father who died a year after coming to Calabash 2005, awesome.
    Saturday night saw some very emmotional performances from Cave Canen Poets Elizabeth Alexander, Linda Susan Jackson and Patricia Smith (USA) not to mention Sunday's performance from Gabeba Baderoon(South Africa),Terrance Hayes (US),Kendel Hippolyte (St Lucia).

After Friday nights schedule was over, grassroot poets LSX had their album launch nearby at a club called Wild Onion in Tresure Beach, that was awesome, Tuff Tuff Triangle, Duane Francis, Gina Ray Forrest, Charlie Bobus and LSX made the night special.

For all those who didn't make it this year, Shame on di I dem!!, I would suggest that this would make the ideal CY link up and we should all look foward to next year's Festival in Treasure Beach.

Speaking to author's from all over the world personally, their opinion is that Jamaica's Calabash Festival is one of, if not zee best Literary festival there is.

Izemi-Clem
    Jah Guides us
    He serves and protects
    He is everything to everyone
    Jah Guide
    Root Cause wants YOU to "SEH SUP'M"

Default Re: Calabash 2007

Good to see you posting again breddrin.

Question:

How does one get into the poetry scene? Let's say one has a penned a few poems, how does one get the exposure or even reach on a show like Calabash?
    Working for a better future.

Arrow Re: Calabash 2007

Hail

BCK

Ras-pect king, I appreci-love the hail.

The poetry scene in Jamaica may seem somewhat stagnant at times but have always exploded in burst of energy from time to time, the poetry faithful always have various projects brewing.

As for Calabash, to be a featured poet/author one has to be published, its is their way of ensuring that person are inspired enough to make the effort to move from one level of writing to the next ultimate level.
    As Colin Channer has said to I "If you are serious about being a writer then you must do what writers do; which is to publish".

However the Calabash foundation has created the space and stage for aspiring writers to get the exposure and experience they need to express themselves by scheduling several "Open Mic" sections throughout the 3 day festival.
    One simply has to sign up during the breaks and wait for your name to be called. The Open Mic section has always been a hit and we have witness many awesome and inspiring works by people from all over the world and Jamaica, some even reading on stage for the first time.

You simply can't beat the experience of going to Calabash and seeing this happen. I remember my first reading on the Open Mic at Calabash and then speaking to another poet from Italy who felt inspired enough to write a poem based on what I had read that same night.
    Thoughout Calabash people are being inspired on the spot; amazing!!

I would recommend to anyone who really wants to get into the poetry scene in Jamaica to attend the Poetry Society's gathering every last Tuesday night at the Edna Manley School for the Arts. Its usually starts around 7pm, its free and all are encourage to read and share with people of like minds and interests. Once there you will get links and information to all the happenings in poetry.

I look forward to seeing the I there BCK, if not I'll keep you posted on any other happenings.

Izemi-Clem
    Jah Guides us
    He serves and protects
    He is everything to everyone
    Jah Guide
    Root Cause wants YOU to "SEH SUP'M"

Thumbs up Re: Calabash 2007

Respec' breddrin.
    Working for a better future.

Thread Information