Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: żAckee tengo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default żAckee tengo?

    I first started eating ackee about a year or so ago. Does anyone know the nutritional content, fat, protein, etc.? It tastes like it contains quite a bit of fat - can anyone confirm this?
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,484

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    It has in alot of cholesterol. I know that for sure. It also has some protein. Not sure bout anything else.
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Taken from this site:
    http://wwwchem.uwimona.edu.jm/lectures/ackee.html

    According to CFNI's "Food Composition Tables for the English-speaking Caribbean" (1998) the contents of a 100g serving of "Ackee, canned, drained" are as follows:

    Water (76.7 g),
    Energy (625 kJ or 151 kcal),
    Protein (2.9 g),
    Fat (15.2 g),
    Saturated fat (0 g)
    Cholesterol (0 mg),
    Total carbohydrate (0.8 g),
    Dietary fibre (2.7 g),
    Calcium (35 mg),
    Iron (0.7 mg),
    Potassium (270 mg),
    Sodium (240 mg),
    Zinc (1 mg),
    vit A -,
    thiamin (0.03 mg),
    riboflavin (0.07 mg),
    niacin (1.1 mg),
    total folacin (41 microgram),
    vit C (30 mg).
    Since the water is thrown out, the rest are part of the balance 23+ gms. Cholesterol shows as zero. I wasn't surprised at this, since I've been told cholesterol originates in meat foods, not vegetables or fruits. It does seem to contain a lot of fat, though, so may help put on weight.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,839

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    new love Ramesh? don't mind putting on a few extra?
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    new love Ramesh? don't mind putting on a few extra?
    Actually, I need to reduce my weight, currently at over 240.

    I just needed to find the nutritional content so I can have a better understanding of my diet.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,839

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Actually, I need to reduce my weight, currently at over 240.

    I just needed to find the nutritional content so I can have a better understanding of my diet.
    Ah tell yuh Rammie, me deh try a ting wid di weight but me not so disciplined at all.
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    Ah tell yuh Rammie, me deh try a ting wid di weight but me not so disciplined at all.
    Me neither. It doesn't help that my mother makes a big fuss if I don't eat everything she puts in front of me.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,839

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Me neither. It doesn't help that my mother makes a big fuss if I don't eat everything she puts in front of me.
    LOL...you know how crazy it sounds to hear you say that Ramesh? lol
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    LOL...you know how crazy it sounds to hear you say that Ramesh? lol
    Trust you to twist my words.

    Two weeks ago I had the flu and lost about 8 pounds, but since then I've gone back to my weight before that. I'm of the mindset that food should not be wasted (thrown away) so I usually clean out my plate. I have to get away from that mindset and let the rats get some food too.

    Perhaps I can also take the crying and goings on when I leave some of the food in the plate, but it's not easy. They make it look like they did something bad and that's why I'm "acting up" so they make up for it by giving me more food the next meal.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,839

    Default Re: żAckee tengo?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rammie
    Trust you to twist my words.
    How mi manage fi do that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rammie
    I have to get away from that mindset and let the rats get some food too
    You know, dogs and/or cats make good pets, and they do actually eat leftovers. Rats, they'll put you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammie
    They make it look like they did something bad and that's why I'm "acting up" so they make up for it by giving me more food the next meal.
    lol...Rammie, I bet you can't walk 10ft after a meal...lol
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •