Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange Juice!!!

Default Orange Juice!!!

I was eating an orange earlier and a thought dawned on me.

Every orange I eat, the sweetness is not the same. So how do these guys who produce the orange juice in the bottle get the taste and sweetness to be consistent using freshly squeezed oranges?

And I am talking about the ones that doesn't have sugar added. I am guessing with sugar added they can keep the level of sweetness to a certain standard. But what about the no sugar added juice?

Who is the bright spark here?

Default Re: Orange Juice!!!

not too sure but i guess after a while similar the trees they plant have an almost consistent taste to them then all the jucie gathered is mixed to gether to create uniformity . just a guess
    dem call me hot steppa .....mudera!

A_A google is you friend happy reading http://www.madehow.com/Volume-4/Orange-Juice.html An remember there different types of oranges
    "Integrity is what we do,
    what we say,
    and we say we."

When you plant an orange seed in backyard you will never get a sweet orange. Are you familiar with the terms "cutting and budding"? Well I won't go into details but essentially you take piece of the tree of known sweetness and put it with the bastard tree. Crap... have to explain better...

Ok... bastard tree is called a stock. You cut off a branch or the stem and make a V-cut in the top of the stem. The tree which you want to combine with it, the sweet tree, you take a piece from that... a stem or branch which is now called a scion and you cut the end so that it can wedge into the cut stock. You tape it up to protect it from water loss and pathogens and now you get your sweet orange tree. Budding is essentially the same except you use a bud from the sweet tree instead. This can be used to mix any citrus tree and you have multiple branches bearing different fruits such as limes, lemons, grapefruit, ortanique etc. Can also be done with mangoes. This is usually done on smaller farms or backyard gardens but for large scale orchards, i'd suspect that they do this from a micro-propagative stage i.e. cellular. The cost is more but the yield is greater and the man time and man power is considerably less.
    Last edited by Manu; April 24, 2008 at 02:33 AM.
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

gotta try the lime thing on my lil orange tree ...oranges lime tangerine on one tree.......brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dem call me hot steppa .....mudera!

"cutting and budding"....aaa member those days!

Grafting and mulching. Agricultural science class. I've forgotten more than I learnt.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Grafting and mulching. Agricultural science class. I've forgotten more than I learnt.
    didnt learn NUTHIN!!!!!!! guy in front me was a cutie!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownsugar View Post
    didnt learn NUTHIN!!!!!!! guy in front me was a cutie!
    silly blonde
    "Integrity is what we do,
    what we say,
    and we say we."

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican View Post
    silly blonde

Yuh mad cus yuh was sittin behind me?!

Thread Information