Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highway 2000 to be renamed USAIN BOLT HIGHWAY!!!

Thumbs up Highway 2000 to be renamed USAIN BOLT HIGHWAY!!!

I just heard that HIGHWAY 2000 will be renamed USAIN BOLT HIGHWAY and he will also get the ORDER OF JAMAICA!!!

Default Re: Highway 2000 to be renamed USAIN BOLT HIGHWAY!!!

Just came here to post this. http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/tools...nm.asp?bn=2516

Mhaad!

Dyam CVM TV.... as it buss di man write it up pon FB. Anyhoo... mi still tink him too young for all this... and him not mature enough for all these pressures and responsibilities...
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

I'm fine with making him Ambassador at large - he is representing Jamaica anyway, so let him do it officially. I don't think he should be granted OJ status so soon though. Those honours are usually reserved for honouring persons with a lifetime of consistent contribution to the nation. I don't think they should have named the Highway 2000 after him. The govt. doesn't own the highway anyway. They can't rename it without permission from the company that built it, who owns it. And on a matter of principle, it would be more appropriate to name the highway after the person who essentially brought it about - PJ Patterson, rather than a person who crashed on it - Bolt. It sends a weird message. It would have been more appropriate to name something in Trelawny after Bolt. Maybe the Trelawny stadium? It's not a track stadium, but at least it is sport oriented and in Bolt's home parish. They could name a scholarship after him to inspire the young people. There are other things the govt. could have done which would have been more appropriate.

Not taking anything away from Bolt's accomplishments though. He did us proud, but considering Bob Marley had to wait till after his demise before he got his national honour, for Bolt to get it because of performances lasting under 1 minute in duration (cumulative), it kindof looks a way. It just looks like the govt. is trying to get political mileage out of Bolt's achievements at time when their political capital is seriously low.
    Working for a better future.

OMG, its ridiculous now. We appreciate his achievements but no other athlete have received such accolades like Bolt. It takes TIME to EARN certain things. I think they are fanning the FAME a bit too much.
    Living my life in Christ like its golden.

I also think this is too early to be giving Bolt these accolades. It's too soon, it adds unneeded pressure, and God forbid if something should go wrong in the future. I know we are happy and want to celebrate him, but this is too much too early. It also sends a bad message to the fellow athletes...almost as tho their achievements aren't appreciated.
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    I also think this is too early to be giving Bolt these accolades. It's too soon, it adds unneeded pressure, and God forbid if something should go wrong in the future. I know we are happy and want to celebrate him, but this is too much too early. It also sends a bad message to the fellow athletes...almost as tho their achievements aren't appreciated.
    Yes. And I see so many other fellow Jamaicans dead or alive that can carry the name like Bob Marley, Louise Bennette...a weh tek dem?

Jah know... mi discuss pon FB through and through...lol. Mek me see if mi can find them fi copy and paste...

but he will only get better... so we gonna make him a National Hero before Bob? Michael? Miss Lou? When we give him this now... and he breaks the 18 sec in the 200... the 9.3 in the 100.... break the 400m 2016.... and break the long jump... what else will be there to award him? Dem fi wait man and stop put up smokescreen fi hide dem underperformance.
    Usain - "Ahm... I wasn't injured you know but when i came out of the car I was barefoot and stepped on some prickles.."

Jeremy -"Prickles?? Ooooh...THOOORNS!" ......

DWL... That's our ambassador at large people. Doing gully creepa... at passa passa... at the club acting a fool...

Then again... Portia was Prime Minister (flame retardant engaged)

I'm not knocking Usain for who he is and what he does. He's young and he's enjoying his life. I'm saying put such international importance on is unfair... because he can't enjoy himself and he's not mentally capable of handling this type of status. He definitely needs a PR company to manage his statements and his wardrobe. Jeans, T-shirt and puma sneaks not going to cut it.
    Last edited by Manu; September 17, 2009 at 03:11 PM.
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

They name the highway after a man who crashed on it instead of the man who brought it about.

What kind of message is that sending?
    Working for a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    They name the highway after a man who crashed on it instead of the man who brought it about.

What kind of message is that sending?
    It tells you a lot as to where their thought patterns are.

Thread Information