Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The daVinci Code

Default Re: The daVinci Code

They are all works of fiction, but like all fiction some of the material has to be fact or the story will never be believable. Creating a novel without using any facts is at best hard to do and in most cases will not be accepted by people.

A story may be written based on the Ark of the Covenants for example. To many Christians the Ark is a real item, something lost in the sands of the Middle East. However, a storyteller will mix this fact (if I may call it fact) that there WAS an Ark of the Covenant, combined with it's seemingly mysterious disappearance to concoct a story of it's movement through Egypt and then to Jamaica.

This does not make the story true, but makes it more acceptable to the masses.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

so..I know the story was fiction but the mentioning of other seemingly coherent examples like current affairs, Tiger Woods, The Louvre....where the alleged Chalice is now...how true are those? The Rose Line? The Pentagram? The church in Roslyn....come on talk to me people!
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

rosyln is real and infact does have masonic symbology all througout the church see here: http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/carvings/carvings.htm
    What about the pentagram?? its been seen way before the book came about so its obviusly a real symbol its true meaning i'm not sure of its been used by many in the past. pythagorean usage, christian usage, neo paganist usage, greek usage. christians said the five points represented the wounds of christ., neo pagans placed the pentagram in a circle and said that the pentagram showed harmonly simlary to the ying and the yang. the five points connecting to the circle showed that everything was connected etc.. The rose line i'm not sure of at all. I"ve really never head about it before reading the book.
    Last edited by d_knight; August 4, 2005 at 06:34 PM.

http://www.rosslynchapel.org.uk/carvings/carvings.htm
    people dont go there, it look scary
    Crocusbag.com?
    Think it, believe it, achieve it Right Cash Cow?

This does not make the story true, but makes it more acceptable to the masses.
    True.

Unfortunately some people cannot separate fact from fiction.
    Working for a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    True.

Unfortunately some people cannot separate fact from fiction.

You know whats extremely funny. All data could actually be considered fiction. It becomes fact when it is proven right. when there is evidence regarding the data, its existence etc. I'm sure proof is always found immediately and there is no way to find out at a later point in time that something that was considered fiction is true eh BCK, Mesh? is that what your saying to me??
    Last edited by d_knight; August 4, 2005 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    React to it like any other work of fiction...
    It's easy for us to say that, but there are some eccentric christians out there, who will be offended.

Look at all those people rallying against Harry Potter. It has nothing to do with christianity or religion for that matter. It's a simple, entertaining story....what's the big deal???
    Human is beautiful, Perfect is boring.... Amen!

The church pays homage to all forms of worship Gucci Man. Paganism....christianity...astrology....all sorts. I see no one is taking up the grail.....come on people...get into the meat of the matter. The storyline and characters and plot surrounding them are fiction but the account of factual events...are they indeed factual?

You could tell when the writer was trying to educate you rather than just list information....so was he indeed teaching facts or just listing coherent mumbo jumbo? Knights Templar is real. Were they burnt at the stake on Friday 13th for real? Is that where badluck Friday the 13th really came from?

Jacques Sauniere was Sophie's granddad but from what side? Her father's or mother's?
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu
    The church pays homage to all forms of worship Gucci Man. Paganism....christianity...astrology....all sorts. I see no one is taking up the grail.....come on people...get into the meat of the matter. The storyline and characters and plot surrounding them are fiction but the account of factual events...are they indeed factual?

You could tell when the writer was trying to educate you rather than just list information....so was he indeed teaching facts or just listing coherent mumbo jumbo? Knights Templar is real. Were they burnt at the stake on Friday 13th for real? Is that where badluck Friday the 13th really came from?

Jacques Sauniere was Sophie's granddad but from what side? Her father's or mother's?
    I read the book for entertainment purposes, not to be educated. For educational purposes I search elsewhere. Yes if he mentioned something that I thought had some truth then I did further research, but then I do that with every book I read.

Careful people...

...one too many people have been deceived by these books already. They're works of fiction. Let's not have a repeat of the Books of the Apocrypha which was sactioned by the Vatican as an extension of the word of God. The Apocryphal writings were also a work of fiction published for entertainment purposes in the first century AD. Over time, people found the works and reprinted them as an extension of the Bible as "The Lost Books of the Bible". This work has many false, contradictory and erroneous references which do not corroborate the original Bible. It's all fiction.

Similarly, movies make use of real facts about the US presidency and world politics. Have you ever read Tom Clancy? His work on global politics, terrorism and espionage is so true to life that it's hard to imagine it's fiction. Have you ever read Michael Crichton? His work on medical fiction, science gone awry and their ties to real world epidemics (like Ebola) is so true to life, that it's hard to imagine that it is fiction. Have you ever read John Grisham? His work on law malpractices, many of which have been made into movies (eg. Runaway Jury) are based on real events, places or facts. But none of his work is real - no matter how hard it is to believe.

The work represented in The Da Vinci Code is also fiction. Don't be deceived. No further rationalisation is necessary.
    Copyright 2003 - 2008, Xenocratesian Institute of Awesomeness
    Example is better than Indoctrination @ http://xenlogic.wordpress.com
    "Xenocratus locuti est; causa finita est"
    All Rights Reserved.

Thread Information