Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Passa Passa has 'no place in Grenada'

Default Re: Passa Passa has 'no place in Grenada'

JAB JAB- YUH FRAID DE DEVIL- JAB JAB- YUH FRAID HIM BAD- JAB JAB- WELL LOOK DE DEVIL- JAB JAB RIGHT IN YUH YARD!

Wooooooooooooooiiiieeeeeeee!!!! Ah love it!!!
    We find comfort among those who agree with us- growth among those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight
    Sometimes I wonder about that myself.

BCK doesnt know it yet- but he is a Trini at heart because he loves bacchanal!!

Juliet I know for a fact that the passa passa type things that Gillion described occurs @ carnival. I have seen the vids so come down off that high horse.

Gillion it is a fact that the other island are fearful of Jamaican culture. I think that they some how feel that our art forms will lead to the end of there's. An example of this is the complains by not only calypsonian about the amount of reggae that is played in Barbados and Trinidad. I know that is the case in other island also. From the end of Carnival to Dec 26 (soca switch) you only hear reggae on the radio. I went to a show once and Bunji was bunning out Jamaicans.

I think Barbados at one point wanted to put a cap on the amount of reggae that is played on the radio.

BCK you are making a point.

Quote Originally Posted by gravyflex
    Juliet I know for a fact that the passa passa type things that Gillion described occurs @ carnival. I have seen the vids so come down off that high horse.

Gillion it is a fact that the other island are fearful of Jamaican culture. I think that they some how feel that our art forms will lead to the end of there's. An example of this is the complains by not only calypsonian about the amount of reggae that is played in Barbados and Trinidad. I know that is the case in other island also. From the end of Carnival to Dec 26 (soca switch) you only hear reggae on the radio. I went to a show once and Bunji was bunning out Jamaicans.

I think Barbados at one point wanted to put a cap on the amount of reggae that is played on the radio.

BCK you are making a point.

See it deh! If yuh a bun out Passa Passa, yuh haffi bun out carnival too!

Respec' G-Flex.
    Working for a better future.

Passa Passa continues to be the centre of debate in Grenada

ST. GEORGE’S, Grenada: Passa Passa continues to be the subject of debate in Grenada and other parts of the region and two other local organizations have joined the voice of the government to ban the dance from the country.

The Grenada National Coalition on the Rights of the Child (GNCRC) and the Grenada National Organization for Women (GNOW) endorses the call made by Minister for Education, Clarice Charles, to ban the Passa Passa entertainment.

Passa Passa involves crowds of music fans congregating late at night until the early morning in noted downtown areas to dance and chill out to music, while street vendors provide refreshments.

The GNCRC in a news release said that they believe this non-traditional form of entertainment has serious implementation for the social development of the nation’s youth.

The release further added that this adverse cultural penetration, which can best be described as lawless, doesn’t uplift the morals of young people and “we are calling on the members of the Royal Grenada Police Force to take the necessary actions as the law provides.”

Read more Here
    It's better to Try and Fail than Fail to Try

Are they fighting cultural penetration or are tey trying to preserve their social norms by not allowing excessicve behaviour to take root ?
    Attitude is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillion
    Are they fighting cultural penetration or are tey trying to preserve their social norms by not allowing excessicve behaviour to take root ?
    I would say the cultural penetration of "Passa Passa" deal.

I remember sometime ago that my company was the lead sponspor in a "Passa Passa back to school" party. The idea didn't go down well with many of the workers because of the same reasons pointed out in the articles posted.
    It's better to Try and Fail than Fail to Try

Quote Originally Posted by gravyflex

Sure it does- I never said it didnt
    Like those in Barbados I would also like to see radio stations play more serious calypso than reggae and dancehall here in Trinidad as well.

"AY YAY YAAAAAAAAAA!!!"
    I envy de congo man - and if it was me ah woulda sHake he hand
    he eat until he stomach upset- Why?
    Ah never eat ah white meat yet!!"

The Mighty Sparrow
    Last edited by Juliet; March 8, 2006 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Flex
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliet in response to G-Flex
    Sure it does- I never said it didnt
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliet in an earlier post
    LET US NOT GO AWAY WITH THE IMPRESSION THAT TRINIDAD CARNIVAL HAS BEEN SPORTING HALF-NAKED PEOPLE FROM LONG TIME AGO.
    PLEASE BE ADVISED!!!
    Aye caramba.

Quote Originally Posted by Juliet
    Like those in Barbados I would also like to see radio stations play more serious calypso than reggae and dancehall here in Trinidad as well.
    Dem a go tyad fi si wi face... - Bob Marley
    Working for a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight

Dem a go tyad fi si wi face... - Bob Marley
    look at the patience that I'm demonstratin'
    After a week or two I usually start eliminatin'
    But we got thru the convo on the phone
    Now we finally chillin' in the condo all alone
    I tried to be the expressive, without bein' aggressive
    Just bein suggestive, a lil more impressive

Thread Information