Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Caramelized Onions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Caramelized Onions

    Been watching the Food Network and see them talking about caramelizing onions and onions tasting sweet.

    Did a search but this is where I am confused. Some sites say you need sugar to caramelize, while others do it without any sugar.

    So has anyone done this before? It just seems they cook down the onion. But how this sweetness come from it?

    And what kind of onions do we have here in Jamaica? Sweet Onions? Yellow Onions? White Onions?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Ok, I found the recipe of Rachel Ray's site: http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes...s/article.html

    The other sites i visited mentioned nothing about using sugar. Ahh bwooy.

    Still wondering what kind of onions we have here in Jamaica or Caribbean.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Well Arch I have caramelized some onions before. The best onions to use are the purple onions or what they call the red onions. The white and yellow ones are good but not as sweet as the red ones.

    I am not a too much sugar person so I don't use sugar. I just oil the pain slightly, add a little butter, tups a salt and black pepper and throw in the onions with a lil garlic. Its good to eat on top of meat like steak, beef, or pork.
    Living my life in Christ like its golden.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    I am not a too much sugar person so I don't use sugar. I just oil the pain slightly, add a little butter, tups a salt and black pepper and throw in the onions with a lil garlic. Its good to eat on top of meat like steak, beef, or pork.
    Uhh, ok. Now you have confused me again.

    What is caramelizing? Cause I know onions and sweet don't go hand in hand.
    So if you're not using sugar to caramelize, guess all you're doing is frying the onions. No?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    5,892

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    My sister browns onions with just a tablespoon of oil and nothing else. Carmelizing involves addition of sugar and other stuff (OK, she doesn't know either).

    http://homecooking.about.com/library...carmonions.htm
    Here's How:

    1. Slice onions into 1/4-inch wide rings.
    2. Heat butter or combination of butter and oil in heavy skillet.
    3. Add onions and a small amount of sugar (optional) and slowly cook over medium heat.
    4. Cook until onions are caramel colored, stirring often, 30 to 40 minutes.
    5. For more flavor, add a touch of vinegar at the end of cooking, stirring to deglaze the pan.

    Tips:

    1. Large, mild-flavored onions work best.
    2. Carmelized onions can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months.
    3. To remove onion smell from hands, wash with soap and then rub hands against a chrome faucet.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,621

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    Uhh, ok. Now you have confused me again.

    What is caramelizing? Cause I know onions and sweet don't go hand in hand.
    So if you're not using sugar to caramelize, guess all you're doing is frying the onions. No?
    As far as me know, caramelization is making the onions brown and that can be accomplished without the use of sugar.
    Living my life in Christ like its golden.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,647

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    As far as me know, caramelization is making the onions brown and that can be accomplished without the use of sugar.
    Making onions brown without the addition of sugar is just making onions brown, not caramelizing them. Caramelized food is sweet.
    Dear God,
    Please help all the gay/chinese/poor/jewish/mormon/boring/overly religious/Seventh Day Adventists/over users of the phrase 'aye caramba '/pedophiles

    Best regards,
    ME.

    .::If you take me seriously you are a closet homo-christian cos 50% of the time I'm only half kidding ::.

    Attempting to get stupidity down to an exact science

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,842

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by root_gal View Post
    Making onions brown without the addition of sugar is just making onions brown, not caramelizing them. Caramelized food is sweet.
    Cho. Rooty yuh juss go mek mi confused again after I was starting to see the light.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    10,484

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by root_gal View Post
    Making onions brown without the addition of sugar is just making onions brown, not caramelizing them. Caramelized food is sweet.
    This is correct. You get that thick caramel taste....like the goo that keeps the nuts together in snickers bar... or that stuff that sticks in your tooth when eating peanut brittle.
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Caramelized Onions

    Quote Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
    Tips:

    1. Large, mild-flavored onions work best.
    2. Carmelized onions can be frozen in an airtight container up to three months.
    3. To remove onion smell from hands, wash with soap and then rub hands against a chrome faucet.
    Thanks Ramesh, I will have to try this one. I hate the scent that it leaves on my hands, but I like cooking with onions...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •