Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Govt. sanctioning police brutality and extra-judicial killings?

Thumbs down Govt. sanctioning police brutality and extra-judicial killings?

"Though I cannot commit government to footing the legal bills of policemen accused of wrongful actions on the frontline, I pledge to you that I will use every effort to employ a team of first class legal officers to defend policemen when they are hauled before the courts like common criminals," Senator Nelson said."
    Read more

Senator Nelson said something to the effect that the fight against crime is a war, and people must realise that in a war, there will be collateral damage. He also said something to the effect that no policeman should be made to pay for any of that "collateral damage".

This JLP govt. is sanctioning police brutality, extra-judicial killings, and state terrorism.

It is indeed a sad, sad time for Jamaica.
    Working for a better future.

Default Re: Govt. sanctioning police brutality and extra-judicial killings?

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Read more

Senator Nelson said something to the effect that the fight against crime is a war, and people must realise that in a war, there will be collateral damage. He also said something to the effect that no policeman should be made to pay for any of that "collateral damage".

This JLP govt. is sanctioning police brutality, extra-judicial killings, and state terrorism.

It is indeed a sad, sad time for Jamaica.
    BCK, I have always respected you for fair and balanced arguments, but your bias keeps showing up in your posts. Mr Nelson made that proclamation, not the 'Government'. I am also appalled and mad at what I have heard, even though he claims that his words were taken out of context, but I can't blame the Government...at least not yet.
    It seems you don't like the JLP admin, but please be fair.
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

Point Taken Bernie....Point Taken....
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

Quote Originally Posted by bernie View Post
    BCK, I have always respected you for fair and balanced arguments, but your bias keeps showing up in your posts. Mr Nelson made that proclamation, not the 'Government'. I am also appalled and mad at what I have heard, even though he claims that his words were taken out of context, but I can't blame the Government...at least not yet.

BCK slips a show from long time, him is a real rock stone PNP from longtime.

The Minister has apologized.

Bernie, bias has nothing to do with it. He is a govt. minister representing the govt. at an official function, speaking to to members of the police force which his ministry overseas. He speaks for the govt. If his utterances were not representative of the views of the govt. then the Prime Minister should have publicly rebuked him, and distanced the govt. from his careless utterances. Until the minister apologized and recanted his statements, and in the absence of any opposing statement by the govt., his statements represented the views of the govt. and his statements essentially sanctioned misconduct by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by mead View Post

BCK slips a show from long time, him is a real rock stone PNP from longtime.
    And if you get cut, you bleed green. I guess you see nothing wrong with the Minister of National Security showing disregard for the very lives of the citizens he is supposed to be serving and protecting.

I am just another Jamaican suffering under Bruce's bruises. You don't have to be PNP to see the injustice being inflicted on the nation by those in power.

The Minister has apologized.

Bernie, bias has nothing to do with it. He is a govt. minister representing the govt. at an official function, speaking to to members of the police force which his ministry overseas. He speaks for the govt. If his utterances were not representative of the views of the govt. then the Prime Minister should have publicly rebuked him, and distanced the govt. from his careless utterances. Until the minister apologized and recanted his statements, and in the absence of any opposing statement by the govt., his statements represented the views of the govt. and his statements essentially sanctioned misconduct by the police.

And if you get cut, you bleed green. I guess you see nothing wrong with the Minister of National Security showing disregard for the very lives of the citizens he is supposed to be serving and protecting.

I am just another Jamaican suffering under Bruce's bruises. You don't have to be PNP to see the injustice being inflicted on the nation by those in power.
    You know as well as I do that he was not speaking on behalf of the government...but I guess we aren't gonna get anywhere on that.

Tell me though, all the issues currently face....did they start with Bruce's admin? The police brutality, senseless killings, and you name it...is it because of the new government? did the previous government do anything to stop the senseless murders and brutality conducted by the criminals in the police force? what kind of comparisons are you making between admins? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know.
    You know what?! Just live everyday as if it's your last.
    Why? Because one of these days, you're gonna be sooo right.

The Minister took too long to apologise for using those words. I'm not sure why he was appointed to the post.... there are others better suited for the job.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

You know as well as I do that he was not speaking on behalf of the government...but I guess we aren't gonna get anywhere on that.
    Bernie, you know, as well as I do, that when a person in a position of authority who represents the govt., speaks at an official function in his official capacity, whatever he says, whatever opinions he expresses, will be construed as being in line with what the govt. endorses. If he has contrary opinions to what the govt. stands for, he should not express that in that situation, or at least, he should make it clear that the views being expressed are his and not representative of govt. policy. Precedent has already been set with that.

Quote Originally Posted by bernie
    Tell me though, all the issues currently face....did they start with Bruce's admin? The police brutality, senseless killings, and you name it...is it because of the new government? did the previous government do anything to stop the senseless murders and brutality conducted by the criminals in the police force? what kind of comparisons are you making between admins? I'm not being sarcastic, I really want to know.
    Crime has been around since the days of Cain and Abel. I don't recall any previous govt. Minister expressing the sentiment that Jamaican people should accept that the loss of their lives is simply collateral damage, and if that collateral damage comes as a result of the negligent or malicious action of the police, that the police should not have to pay for that. A JLP govt. Minister said that.

Bernie, you know, as well as I do, that when a person in a position of authority who represents the govt., speaks at an official function in his official capacity, whatever he says, whatever opinions he expresses, will be construed as being in line with what the govt. endorses. If he has contrary opinions to what the govt. stands for, he should not express that in that situation, or at least, he should make it clear that the views being expressed are his and not representative of govt. policy. Precedent has already been set with that.
    He has a point there bernie.

Similarly, anything I post in the capacity as a moderator, will be viewed as the opinions of the administration of the site. While each person is responsible for their own postings.

Being part of an organization, as BCK said, unless they say, they are NOT speaking on behalf of the organization they are working with, everything said is considered the opinion of the administration of that organization.
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; May 31, 2009 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    He has a point there bernie.

Similarly, anything I post in the capacity as a moderator, will be viewed as the opinions of the administration of the site. While each person is responsible for their own postings.

Being part of an organization, as BCK said, unless they say, they are NOT speaking on behalf of the organization they are working with, everything said is considered the opinion of the administration of that organization.
    Thank you.

And it's not just that they are part of an organization, it's that they are a leader of the organization, and that at the time of speaking, they were representing the organization - the govt.

Seriously, do you have to be PNP, or anit-JLP to see what is wrong with that scenario? You shouldn't have to be. Don't let party colours blind you. Nelson was wrong. He showed that he really has no business working in the capacity of Minister of National Security. That single utterance has undermined any efforts to gain support and sympathy for the security forces among the average Jamaican citizen. From a political standpoint, Nelson has single handedly squandered what little political capital and credibility remained with this administration. He should resign. Bruce should shuffle him out of that job.

Why was Bruce silent on this issue?

Thread Information