Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observer photographer arrested

Default Observer photographer arrested

Observer photographer Lionel Rookwood was arrested and charged with breaches of the Noise Abatement Act after taking photographs of a scuffle between police and the owner of a sound system at a dance on Red Hills Road early Friday morning.
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...ARRESTED__.asp

At first I thought .. oh boy, another case of police brutality and corruption but then I read it again closer then I saw this ...
    Rookwood, who for a few moments had been selecting music for the sound system, started taking pictures of the scuffle and drew the attention of the cops.
    So hold on, the photographer WAS indeed breaking the law but is spinning the story against the police? Shame on him!

And then in the follow-up article today - http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...FRONT_LINE.asp, there's NO mention that he was selecting and helping to disturb the neighbors.

Default Re: Observer photographer arrested

Aw bwoy... makes you wonder what else is spinned in the papers to stir up controversy. You remember at the end of Watchmen when the reporter was complaining that this peace thing sucks...everybody holding hands and singing and he challenged the reporter to find some kind of dirt? Media thrives on controversy. They love that type of news.
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Aw bwoy... makes you wonder what else is spinned in the papers to stir up controversy. You remember at the end of Watchmen when the reporter was complaining that this peace thing sucks...everybody holding hands and singing and he challenged the reporter to find some kind of dirt? Media thrives on controversy. They love that type of news.
    oh yes for sure, the media loves controversy. The thing is, if the whole saga was the usual Police breaking up dance turn into altercation then it would be a natural headline grabber. But by deceitfully manipulating the report to make the photographer appear innocent when he was guilty then that's downright wrong.

As you pointed out at the end of the Watchmen movie ... the reporter was asked to FIND the dirt ... not to FABRICATE it

Yeah I noticed that as well. At one point the article seemed to be saying that he had a right to be taking photographs because that's his job. But the police were arresting him, not for taking pictures, but for breaking the law and playing the sound system.

1 point for the Police.

What's their score now A_A? 1 + (-infinity) is still [negative] infinity you know
    Women want one man to satisfy all their needs and men want all women to satisfy their one need!

I don't get it. They arrested a man for playing a sound system?
    Living my life in Christ like its golden.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoa View Post
    I don't get it. They arrested a man for playing a sound system?
    Yes, it was at the time of night (article said early Friday morning) and because he was playing without a permit.

Noise Abatement Act says you can't play loud music after 2am

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Noise Abatement Act says you can't play loud music after 2am
    Rah Jamaica a get strict!
    Living my life in Christ like its golden.

All me nuh seh is that me need fi sleep a night and the loud music dem play a dem time a night nuh right.
    Life: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." - MacBeth
    http://www.caribyard.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew
    Providence protects children and idiots. I know because I have tested it.
    Echinsu Ocha
    Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
    Social occasions are only warfare concealed.
    "Why did God make us so different if he wanted us to all be the same?"

Thread Information